Menu

7th Grade Secular Homeschoolers-- Care To List Your Choices?

astrid

What are you eyeing in the Rainbow catalog?

My ds is going into 7th and here is what we are planning on doing this upcoming year:

Sonlight Core 6, edited for secular use

Math:

Keys to ___ (we rotate the fractions, algebra, geometry, & decimals)

Language Arts:

Lightning Literature 7th

Vocabulary From Classical Roots A

Word Roots Software

IEW

(Sonlight Readers & Read Alouds)

Logic:

Fallacy Detective

Philosophy Files

Science:

Edited Apologia General Science

Edited Rainbow Science

History:

edited Sonlight Core 6 and

Debating on how to integrate History Odyssey in with Sonlight Core 6

Other:

Music - The Story of ____ in Words and Music (Amazon sells these for $3 each)

Art - paid art class, Usborne Intro to Art & Art Game

Foreign Language - Spanish, haven't decided what to use yet

As for Latin, I studied it for a few years and ds did it in the younger grades. I personally thought it was a waste of time at a young age and better suited for rhetoric level. We will do either Wheelocks or Henles around 9th or 10th grade.

That's all. It doesn't seem like that much now that I've written it out. Maybe I should add stuff. lol

Edited by jadedone80

What we used, this year:

TOG (edited for secular use)

Galore Park Latin Prep 1/2 (finished through half of book 2)

Dolciani Algebra

Classical Writing

my own literature list, taken from TWTM/LCC/TOG

Classical Studies - the Iliad

we didn't do formal science

Megawords

We did use Elementary Greek, which is not at all secular. It's so hard to find Greek courses, though.

Math: Saxon Algebra 1 w/ perhaps some Dolciani, Lial's, and LOF to add some spice. I also have TTC Alg. 1 series, I don't kow if we will use them but I have them if needed (no I'm not crazy, I only pd. $2 for them)

History: Hakim History of US series books 1 - 5 w/ OUP TG, TTC US History lectures, WTM Lit. suggestions

Science: PH Science Explorer Life Science w/ videos and labs,

Nature Study: Comstock's Handbook of Nature Study, Leslie's Keeping a Nature Journal

Grammar: R&S - probably 6, he may get bumped up to 7 Not secular but it seems like I always tend to edit a bit.

Vocab/Spell: VCR A & Wordly Wise

Literature: Lightning Lit 7 and Figuratively Speaking

Writing: IEW SWI-B

Logic: Orbiting with Logic I'm not sure what to use after that.

Art: photography/painting/drawing: Mom and self directed - Hoping to tie this in to nature study/science

I've been going back and forth but I finally have my plans for my 7th grader:

Grammar/Comp/Lit:

Hake Grammar, Classical Wriitng, Lightening Lit, Pentime Cursive & Wordly Wise 5

Math:

A Beka 7, and combo of LOF Beginning Alg. and Dolciani Pre-Alg.

Science:

Florida Virtual School Science 8th Grade and Museum of Science and Industry Technology Programs for Homeschool Middle School.

History:

All-American History

Foreign Language

Irrashai Japanese

You maybe in for a shock on this one, because not only is it not secular, it's quite extremist and politically far-right.

Buyer beware.

Thank you for the warning. Since the subject is Logic, I am looking for balance. I figured the Fallacy Detective & The Philosophy Files books would help with trying to understand two different views. It might not though.

Thank you for the warning. Since the subject is Logic, I am looking for balance. I figured the Fallacy Detective & The Philosophy Files books would help with trying to understand two different views. It might not though.

I don't know anything about The Philosophy Files, but I found Fallacy Detectives shocking. This is a work in right-wing polemics/religious ultra-conservatism that tramples on the science of "logic". It doesn't deserve the name.

This is the only book where I've ever thrown a perfectly fine copy into the trash. I found it absolutely vile.

I don't know anything about The Philosophy Files, but I found Fallacy Detectives shocking. This is a work in right-wing polemics/religious ultra-conservatism that tramples on the science of "logic". It doesn't deserve the name.

This is the only book where I've ever thrown a perfectly fine copy into the trash. I found it absolutely vile.

That bad, huh?

Did you find anything good for Logic? Are you using something now? I'm always looking, but haven't found much for the logic level yet.

That bad, huh?

Did you find anything good for Logic? Are you using something now? I'm always looking, but haven't found much for the logic level yet.

Hair-curlingly bad.

Like many parents I'm pretty surprised to find an absence of Logic or Informal Logic texts for the home education market that don't insert the heavy hand of the author's political/religious views in way that are outside the bounds of Logic. So I'm in a quandary as to what to suggest.

I looked at an Informal Logic book by Douglas Walton recently. I didn't get though the whole thing (it was a library book) but it seemed quite good. But was likely written for college students rather than 7th graders.

Good luck!

Bill

Galore Park SY English; LL7

LOF Beginning Algebra and Advanced Algebra, plus review

Classical Civilisation (GCSE course)

Geography for IGCSE (including earth science)

Galore Park Latin Prep 3/SY Latin 3

Spelling from various lists of often misspelled words

Galore Park SY French 1/2

Mandarin - tutoring, undecided

Galore Park RE (more like philosophy/current affairs built around the bible)

ICT (online computing course)

Music Theory

Draw Squad plus Anti-colouring book

Poetry memorisation (various)

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

Galore Park SY English; LL7

LOF Beginning Algebra and Advanced Algebra, plus review

Classical Civilisation (GCSE course)

Geography for IGCSE (including earth science)

Latin Prep 3/SY Latin 3

Spelling from various lists of often misspelled words

French Prep 1/2

Mandarin - tutoring, undecided

Galore Park RE (more like philosophy/current affairs built around the bible)

ICT (online computing course)

Music Theory

Draw Squad plus Anti-colouring book

Poetry memorisation (various)

Laura

I never heard of any of the Galore park books. They look great. Is there a US site? I only see a UK one? What is the SY?

I never heard of any of the Galore park books. They look great. Is there a US site? I only see a UK one? What is the SY?

There isn't a US website, but you can buy the books from horriblebooks.com in the US (Ray buys batches of books periodically and keeps the most popular ones on hand) or you can use bookdepository.co.uk, which ships to the US for free.

If you are interested in any books, you can see samples on the Galore Park site and ask for reviews here (start a new thread) or on the Galore Park Yahoo group (linked in my siggy). I hasten to add that I am not an employee of Galore Park, just an enthusiastic user.

Laura

We are doing a mix of 7th-8th. Technically my son is starting 8th...but we are playing catch up still. We are using:

Finishing Sonlight Core 4 then moving to Sonlight Core 6

Easy Grammar 6 (since it looks so easy to follow)

IEW writing

Megawords/apples spelling

wordly wise 7 (second half of book)

Saxon 7/6

Apologia Physical Science (last year we did Florida Virtual School)

Rosetta Stone spanish 1

Typing

Online mapping for fun

Boy Scouts

Civil Air Patrol