Menu

Do you know of an aid to help me find the original Hebrew with my Bible?

I tried to find something online, but only came up with the Old Testament written in Hebrew script. I'm wanting to see it actually spelled out. I'm not even wanting the meaning of the Hebrew word necessarily. My goal is to interpret scripture by looking up a word I'm curious about and finding it in the original Hebrew and then searching the scripture to find where that Hebrew word is used again in scripture. Then, I can look in my bible to see what that word is interpreted in English in my bible. Does that make sense? Using scripture to interpret scripture?

I have a 'Hebrew-Greek Key Word Study Bible'.

It has reference numbers that correspond to Kohlenberger's Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek dictionaries...and reference numbers for several well known concordances like Strongs. It has lots of other nifty study features and reference links. It is published by AMG.

I've found it very useful--and it is not bulky so I use it as my 'regular' Bible.

Well, this can get as involved as you like. I believe the Bible is designed to interpret itself, but sometimes it's not so easy! A Strong's Concordance is one great tool in that it gives you a number of each word. In the back Strong put in short definitions. A number of reference books have been keyed to the Strong's numbering system, including the Young's Concordance (with different strengths), Wigram's (it's strength is that it lists all uses of most words in the Hebrew, but not ones with tons and tons of uses. Also, it's not all in the same numerical order as Strong's, so you have to go to the back to be sure which page to go to. It makes word studies easier.) There are also versions of the Brown Drivers Brings Ge...(forgot the spelling) work keyed to Strong's.

As for interpreting the Hebrew from the Bible alone, that can be tough due to the many homophones used in Hebrew. Also, as in English, one word can have more than one meaning. Most of the time, the first use of a word will define it, but not always. In addition, if a word is used only once or twice, sometimes you need other sources to define. Also, Hebrew uses prefixes, etc, to supply things English uses separate words for, such as pronouns, etc. I'd recommend studying the Hebrew alphabet as some of those letters look very similar, plus the little markings (such as jots and tittles) can totally change what a word is. I mean completely. Finally, if a word is used only once or twice you may need to see secular sources to help define it.

And this doesn't even touch eastern customs, figures of speech (over 200 used in the Bible), etc. But I think reading the Bible for itself is a great thing to do.

PS I don't do icons, but picture me smiling and pleasant, not as bossy as I think I often sound in writing.

Oh, Wow! Thank you guys! The Strong's isn't exactly what I'm looking for as it is referencing the other places a word is used in English - after translation - and I'm wanting to get to the original and find where it is used elsewhere. However, the link you gave, Parisarah, has incredible links of its own and I think they supply what Karin is saying I'd need. And Karin, you don't sound the least bit bossy! Jann, my Bible bookstore is having a sale next week, so I'm writing that down to go shopping!

Thanks all!