Menu

x-post: Saxon Math taught by Art Reed DVD?

One of my ds will be starting Saxon Alg. 1 in the fall. I've been trying to decide on a CD/DVD for him to use at times when Dad is not available. Quite honestly I am of no use in the higher math dept.

I'm wondering if anyone has actually used any of the Mastering ___"John Saxon's Way" DVDs which are taught by Art Reed?

I have viewed the sample lesson on the Mastering site, but it is difficult to get a feel for it. I understand that Art Reed has taught Saxon math for 20 some odd years, but how is he as an instructor? Was he clear in his instructions, did he seem to explain the whys of things vs do it this way? Did your dc quietly say to themselves, "OMG, if I have to watch this guy one more time I think I'm going to loose my mind?" Or, did they instead say, "This guy is great, he explanations are so clear and helpful."

I have used the DIVE CD's in the past and have seen the Saxon Teacher CD's. To me, they are virtually identical, except that the Saxon uses the problems in the book vs similar problems. While the DIVE gets the job done, it certainly is not the most exciting of things to listen to.

TIA

My kids use Teaching Tape Technology and LOVE it. Here is the link:

http://www.teachingtape.com/

It is expensive, but I am able to reuse it with my other kids and it has really freed me up :) My kids have really improved with their math skills since using these and they say they really understand it better. Expensive, but worth it for us...

HTH,

Lora

Guest BethTN

I just received these dvds by priority mail just a few short days after ordering them. I have a daughter and a son that both struggle with Algebra. My son made it through Saxon Algebra 1, but failed Algebra 2 last year. My daughter made it halfway through Algebra 1 and really got lost. We have tried DIVE and that did not work. We tried switching to Teaching Textbooks and that didn't work either. My children have homeschooled since 1st grade and have used a lot of Saxon, so they are very used to the way it is laid out. I looked at Teaching Tape technology and it looks great for someone with a couple of hundred dollars, which I do not have right now. I did an internet search and came up with Mr. Reed. The dvds are very reasonably priced at $49.95 for the entire set. I bought Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. Unlike the one cd-rom you get with DIVE, there are 11 dvds in each set and they are in a very nice clamshell case.

Needless to say, we have not began using them yet. We are going to start on Monday, after the 4th of July. One thing that helped make my decision is that I emailed Mr. Reed and he emailed me right back. I told him the problems I was having with both children and he told me what to do to find their weakness and starting point and that my children or I could email him any time and he would help. I have viewed some lessons and so far they look really well done. My children are 16 and 17 so they are not looking for fluff. They just want the lesson presented and explained well where they can understand, but most of all what they really requested was someone to ask a question if they get stuck. I think Mr. Reed will be available to help and will be able to explain. Sorry, I comment on whether or not they had worked or not. I will know if they are going to help by the end of July and could post an update..

Beth

I asked the same question awhile back. One thing to note is that these DVDs by Art Reed are new, so not many people have actually used them yet.

I got one response by Frontier Women:

"What we like is that he goes over the lesson quickly and my dc's don't like drawn out watching of lessons. That is why I don't think TT would work well for us. He is succint and the lessons are only about 5 to 8 minutes.

I like them because they don't have to wait for me and I have seen a huge jump in my both student's work since we started watching them. If you want to go over the problems in detail, these are not the ones for you. If you want the lesson introduced, this is it!! I personally have been extremely satisfied with them.

__________________"

(Sorry, don't know how to paste a quote).

What I did to help me decide between DIVE, Art Reed, and Saxon teacher was to look at all the video samples and clips.

All of these programs provide an auditory/visual input for learning. I preferred Art Reed's over the others for the following reasons:

1. I find watching an actual person more engaging than a white board.

2. The DVD can work in more "players" than the Dive CD.

3. The problems Mr. Reed works are NOT the same as the examples in the Saxon books; thus, the student gets to see more possibilities by reading both the text and watching the lesson.

4. At the time I watched (may still be the case), the Art Reed DVD sample and the Saxon Teacher sample were for the exact same Alg. II lesson. This allowed me a good comparison on the various strengths of the two. I preferred Mr. Reed's teaching.

5. Mr. Reed does sometimes reference previous/future lessons to help explain the "why" behind a new topic.

I never did look at the Teaching Technology tapes because I merely wanted a reasonably-priced supplement; I have heard good things about the program, though.

HTH,

Thanks so much. I just realized that there were responses to my question.

Beth, please post an update after you've had a chance to use them. I think I'm leaning towards Mr. Reed, but would like to hear more.

TIA

OOps sorry! I kind of hijacked your thread :blush:

OOps sorry! I kind of hijacked your thread :blush:

Jean,

LOL, I can see why you might have interpreted my post that way, but that's not what I meant and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I just happened to realize that someone had actually responded to the question.

I was actually glad to see you post and know that you're are as interested in finding info about this as I am. This is definitely one of those questions, that if answered (no pressure to anyone) that I feel will benefit many. Please feel free to hijack in whatever direction you like as I'm sure I will find it interesting and enlightening.:)

Jean and anyone else who's interested,

I don't know if you have seen this review by Art Reed of the different DVD programs (Saxon, DIVE, and Teaching Tape), but thought I'd pass it on just in case.

This review was written before his program was put on the market. Scroll down to April 2008 - very interesting and informative.

http://homeschoolwithsaxon.com/newsletter.php

HTH

Jean and anyone else who's interested,

I don't know if you have seen this review by Art Reed of the different DVD programs (Saxon, DIVE, and Teaching Tape), but thought I'd pass it on just in case.

This review was written before his program was put on the market. Scroll down to April 2008 - very interesting and informative.

http://homeschoolwithsaxon.com/newsletter.php

HTH

Thank you for this! I emailed Art with a few questions and he was quick to respond and very helpful.

• 1 year later...
How did this get revived from 2009?

Notice the two posters who revived it both have 1 post.

I think the ghost of Art Reed is haunting the boards.

I have more than 1 post so I'll hop on in! The Art Reed DVD's have made math SO MUCH better at our house! I have posted many times about how wonderful these DVD's have been for my children. We first met Art last year at the homeschool conference and have used the DVD's for a year now. He explains things so well, teaches directly to the students, plus it's not just a whiteboard or blue screen.... you see a real human. We love them. Obviously not every program will work for everyone, but for those who like Saxon, these are definately worth a try...plus they aren't exceedingly expensive, comparitively speaking.

Blessings

Sandra