Menu

So frustrated, need science for 5th grade science fanatic...

I am so annoyed. For the 2nd year in a row, I had chosen Colors (the 2 year program from Rainbow) for my daughter. It's exactly what I want - tons of experiements, includes supplies, details, multi-topic etc. But once again they can not be sure if/when it will be available and it definately won't be by September.

Now I need something else. I don't want a typical textbook - BJU for this age doesn't thrill me. I want the materials already there because I'm just too busy to deal with it. I want lots of experiements that are interesting, not just hey look what that does but experiments that actually have depth. I'd really prefer not having to choose a subject i.e. like only physics, Chem etc. We did Physics last year with Exploration Science.

I'm so annoyed.

HELP!!

Heather

My science fanatic dd loved the Prentice Hall Science Explorer series. You can buy the individual books to mix and match the topics however you like (that's what I did). There isn't a kit with the supplies. I just went through the book right at the start and made a list of things to order from http://www.homesciencetools.com . I made sure to have my dd choose her next book at least two weeks before she was going to finish the one she was working on so I'd have time to get supplies in. We didn't do all of the experiments. There are plenty to choose from.

Well you said you didn't want BJU, but I'll say it anyway. BJU done a grade ahead. The extras are in the tm, and we buy anything coordinating we can find from Home Science Tools (kits, supplies, whatever). Plenty of depth that way.

Have you looked at The Elements by Ellen McHenry? I have it, haven't even dealt with it yet. It's in my pile for when we finish the BJU5, so hopefully sometime this fall. Also, insane as this sounds, I've been thinking how interesting it would be to go back and do the Apologia Elementary books again. The girls could go through them more quickly, being older now. Ha, we could get ornery and have them outline them... Do two chapters a week, 6 books in a year...

The information on the Colors website all states a Spring 2009 release. Has it been pushed back further and the website not updated?

I talked to them today because I preordered it and was wondering what was up. (I pre-ordered last year too but as we know it didn't come out). She told me definately not by September and hopefully sometime during the school year. UGH

Heather

You might want to check out Apologia General Science. It is really well written and each module (chapter) has several experiments.

I believe there are some websites where you can purchase kits that correspond with each module.

Funny you would say this. I've been looking at General Science all afternoon and I'm thinking this might be the way to go. I noticed that Sonlight has a schedule for it that could be helpful. Now that I am homeschooling three - all at very different academic levels - I'm becoming a fan of the 'done for me schedule'. LOL

I know Apologia says this is for 7th grade but the samples I saw seem very doable for a 5th grader. Have you used it? If so, do you think it's ok for this age? I wish I could find a sample that was something other than module 1 since that's history of science which probably skews difficulty perception.

Thanks

Heather

My son is also a science fanatic and I was thinking of using it with him in 5th/6th grade.

Its very easy to read.

At the end of each module (chapter) there are study questions that are really thorough. They are pretty long chapters so you might take a little longer than you would with a younger child.

I talked to them today because I preordered it and was wondering what was up. (I pre-ordered last year too but as we know it didn't come out). She told me definately not by September and hopefully sometime during the school year. UGH

Heather

I was also planning on using Colors with my 10yos going into grade 5. So far, I have him registered for an online electronics course (Quick Study Labs), and I am thinking about doing science the WTM way described in the 3rd edition. There are lots of hands on fun stuff, and I think he'll really enjoy it. I am just worried that there is not a schedule to tell me what to do on each day. I'm more liable to slack off without a schedule.

Anyways, if I do WTM science with ds, then we can do parts at a time (various kits) until Colors gets released.

Funny you would say this. I've been looking at General Science all afternoon and I'm thinking this might be the way to go. I noticed that Sonlight has a schedule for it that could be helpful. Now that I am homeschooling three - all at very different academic levels - I'm becoming a fan of the 'done for me schedule'. LOL

I know Apologia says this is for 7th grade but the samples I saw seem very doable for a 5th grader. Have you used it? If so, do you think it's ok for this age? I wish I could find a sample that was something other than module 1 since that's history of science which probably skews difficulty perception.

Thanks

Heather

I have a seventh grader doing Apologia General and I have a 5th grader. As much as my 5th grader loves science, Apol. General would be too hard for him. It is a lot of reading. And, although I'm sure your 5th grader is very advanced, it does assume a logic stage understanding of the material.

My 2 cents.

Now off to keep searching for my 5th grader's science program for next year....:D

Jo

Edited by battlemaiden

Well you said you didn't want BJU, but I'll say it anyway. BJU done a grade ahead. The extras are in the tm,

:iagree:

I hate to tell you something you said you don't want, but BJU is full of experiments. There are labs scheduled 1-2 times/week plus there are additional demonstrations most week. My kids were science smart in ps but didn't like it. When we started using BJU they found out science is fun and learned (and retained) more than I could have imagined.

You do need the TM to get the extra information on extra demonstrations.