Menu

Readers for new dd6

We went to the library today to find my new dd6yr books. She has been reading the "MagicTree House" books but has lost some interest. The librarian had her read a little from several books and together they chose: "Sarah, Plain and Tall," "Forever Amber Brown," and from the Secrets or Droon "Journey to the Volcano Palace." She is comfortably reading at a 3rd grade level. Can anyone suggest any book series for her? She is interested in cats, dogs, jokes, and science. I have read her many of the "favorites or classic children's" books so am needing other suggestions. I don't want to push her too much out of her comfort zone just yet with a higher level reader(except when she reads to me). However, she picked out on her own the "Warrior" books about cats but I think it may be a bit of a challenge.

If she likes animal characters, have you tried any Dick King-Smith or Cynthia Rylant? My dd enjoys these, though she can read longer books.

As regards Dick King-Smith, I'll give you a third vote. In particular, I'd recommend the Sophie books. Here's a link to a collection of the first three books.

Regards,

Kareni

...the Sophie books ...

I hadn't seen these myself. Thanks. It takes so long scrolling through books by author on Amazon, that I'm sure I'm missing some good books.

I hear you on the difficulty of navigating Amazon; there is a LOT on there.

The Sophie books were particular favorites in my house when my daughter (a recent homeschool graduate) was a lot younger. I hope you and your family will enjoy them.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you everyone.....many options to choose from. My 6dd turned her nose up to the books she picked out with the librarian and chose "Because of Winn-Dixie" which we had at home. I think her picks will just be that. Mom, along for the ride. P.S. Warriors books proved to be a little too hard at this point in time but she is saving it for "when she is a older."