Menu

Questions about Dual Credits, College and High School

cin

I know I have a way to go, but since I am planning on signing myself up for classes, this has been on my mind. How does it work? How old are your kids when they start 'college' classes? Is High School Algebra that much different than College Algebra? What about Biology, Chemistry and so on.....

I'm just thinking about this, cause we have a bright kid, and if we can spread out the costs of college....And our local community college is great, afflilated with the local state University, so the credits would easily apply to her degree program. And yes, DH and I are already grooming them for Univ. Cincinnati. They can go to the college of their choice: Nursing, Engineering, Medicine, Education, Design Art and Architecture, etc. All on the UC campus, within driving distance of home :D.

I'm a bit wordy tonight, housebound with a 4 & 7 yr old, I'm sure y'all understand!!!!!!!!!! thanks for ANY input!

It's never too early to think about it. I went to the first state convention in Calif in, oh, 1983 or '84, when older dd was only 7 or 8, and the only workshop I went to all day was one on how to get your dc through high school. :-)

Even back then, the suggestion was made to do community college instead of high school, because most of the required lower-division courses are a repeat of high school. So that's what we did. Both of my dds began taking classes at the c.c. when they were 14. They didn't zoom through in two years--IOW, they didn't earn AAs by the time they were 16--but they didn't have to do all those maths and sciences and stuff twice (and *I* didn't have to teach them!).

I'll be weighing it for each child individually, and starting them out slowly. Early community college works for some kids, and not for others.

I have a bunch of homeschooled kids 15-17 years old in my section this summer, and they run the full range -- some IMHO would be better with another year or more of high school and some are ready to go full-time at the community college in the fall.

Today I ran into the mom of a student I taught two years ago as a dual-enrolled student. She took my class at 16 in the spring as her only college course and struggled at first, but then she did so well and liked it so much that they decided to graduate her early and go ahead and start her almost full-time in the fall. She's going to graduate next May and has done beautifully. That very same semester I had another 16 year-old homeschooled student who completely bottomed out -- failed every test and eventually stopped doing the work because she lost her confidence.

So maybe, but it's not for everyone...!

;) And that right there is one of my points. If I have to pay for a tutor, dvd program, etc. Why not get MORE for my money? Right?!!?!

Zactlly. Also, for me c.c. was a life saver, because when my dd were that age, there were no such things as DVD programs, and I didn't even *know* anyone who could tutor. It was or the c.c., and I chose c.c. :-)

Of course, if c.c. had not been an option, I'd have figured out something, but I am pleased with the choice I made (and so are dds).

Here it's 16 ----and you have to have the SAT/ACT scores or pass the entrance/placement tests. You also have to have completed a typical hs sequence --it specifically lists for Engl 101 the scores and have completed 3 hs level engl courses. There is another issue too --you have to be able to score out of or place in Engl 101 first before you can do other courses ---this has tripped up a few kids I know who were good in math and planned to take math courses at the CC but weren't prepared at the same time to take Engl 101. Our dd will complete her math requirements for hs her Jr year w/ Calc and then will take Sr year math at the CC and she will be in line for Engl 101 the same year. The downside is that Dual-enrollment for us has to count as an elective for hs and not a fulfillment of core coureses.

... How old are your kids when they start 'college' classes? Is High School Algebra that much different than College Algebra? .....

My teen started taking some classes at the community college as an 11th grader. She continued to do so her senior year as well. Our intent was not to have the classes count as transfer credit but rather to stretch her. Come fall, she'll be entering a four year college as a freshman.

Yes, high school algebra is different from College Algebra. Typically a student will take Algebra I and II in high school. College Algebra is like Algebra III. College Algebra plus Trigonometry are the equivalent of Precalculus.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, high school algebra is different from College Algebra. Typically a student will take Algebra I and II in high school. College Algebra is like Algebra III. College Algebra plus Trigonometry are the equivalent of Precalculus.

Regards,

Kareni

The community college I work for does not allow dual enrollment in math for anything below calculus and/or statistics. There's something in the rules about how they receive funding from the state and the line between public K-12 schools and public higher education. If you have a high school diploma of any kind (homeschool included), you can enroll in any math class, regardless of level.

GVA...I can see that with remedial maths but it seems that a class considered college level (like college algebra, trig, precalc, etc) shouldn't count.

The other thing I like about the lower college maths being available for those that pass the test into college (or qualify to bypass it) is that the classes go faster allowing the student to progress quickly. That may not be best for EVERY student, but it most certainly is for many students. You don't have to be 18 and have graduated to be ready for semester long math courses.