Menu

Slide rule

OK, I know I am showing my age here, but does anyone remember using slide rules at school? And can one still buy them?

We used them at High School, but my mother cannot remember what happened to mine. I was no scholar so maybe I tossed it away after finishing school! ;)

Willow.

While slide rules are no longer made, there is a market for them on Ebay and the like. Slide rules are a common graduation gift for engineers or computer science people. (We gave the engineer who married my niece one from our slide rule stash--we have several. What a statement about us! :D)

I may have posted this link on the old board, but this is a good time to offer it again. Go here for instructions on constructing your own slide rule. There are PDFs to print and some basic instructions for use. There are even PDFs for making a circular slide rule, something that I never owned.

Have fun.

Jane

Slide rules are sold at the link Jane posted. (I just ran a search and landed on that website.)

I used a slide rule for high school physics. I sure hope my dad still has it in his garage !

While slide rules are no longer made, there is a market for them on Ebay and the like. Slide rules are a common graduation gift for engineers or computer science people. (We gave the engineer who married my niece one from our slide rule stash--we have several. What a statement about us! :D)

I may have posted this link on the old board, but this is a good time to offer it again. Go here for instructions on constructing your own slide rule. There are PDFs to print and some basic instructions for use. There are even PDFs for making a circular slide rule, something that I never owned.

Have fun.

Jane

I know my older brother used one in high school but he was six years older than me and eight years ahead in school. (He was accelerated one grade and was before the cutoff in the school district he started in.) I remembered seeing one but have no idea how they worked. I think I will look it up.

Go here for instructions on constructing your own slide rule. There are PDFs to print and some basic instructions for use. There are even PDFs for making a circular slide rule, something that I never owned.

Have fun.

Jane

What fun, thank you. I think my son will enjoy making one of these. Maybe I should buy a second hand one while they are still available!

Willow

What fun, thank you. I think my son will enjoy making one of these. Maybe I should buy a second hand one while they are still available!

Willow

Our library book sale regularly has manuals on using slide rules.

Another interesting item from the past that we see at these books sales are texts on drafting. With everyone using CAD programming, these books are considered obsolete, but we have acquired a few that we think are interesting.

Luddites might want to also have drafting tools at their disposal. ;)

Jane (proud owner of her father's antique compasses and drafting tools)

I have my grandfather's from Anapolis. They are beautiful. My oldest just took graphics and had to draw all the ship's systems. Luddites might be pleased to hear that he was taught to pace out the distances so he could draw them, and they only learned to draw with the computer after they had done a bunch of drawings by hand. My younger two have plastic school sets with dividers, etc. It was hard to find cheap ones and it seems like I've spent 8 years fussing at them not to lose the pieces or sit on the boxes or throw their backpacks and crack them. Sigh. If I had known that they would manage to hang onto them for eight whole years, I would have bought them nice ones to begin with, especially since Singapore requires constructions. Fortunately even cheap as they were, they worked reasonably well. I HATE bad compasses.

Our library book sale regularly has manuals on using slide rules.

Another interesting item from the past that we see at these books sales are texts on drafting. With everyone using CAD programming, these books are considered obsolete, but we have acquired a few that we think are interesting.

Luddites might want to also have drafting tools at their disposal. ;)

Jane (proud owner of her father's antique compasses and drafting tools)

If you think the drafting tools are great, you'e got to see the truly old blue prints! The lettering on them were works of art. And the line work wasn't bad either. I would have loved to have been able to take some that I used home and hang them on my walls. But the ones I used at work still represented standing buildings, so I couldn't take them home.

And then the original drawings were probably done on real linen. At my first job, the engineer still used starched linen for all his highway and bridge drawings. It was old-fashion even then, but fun to work on. And I got to take the linen scraps home, wash them and use the linen.

Back to the OP, you should see the gorgeous metal slide rule I won at the state science fair as a senior. The next year they awarded calculators. and of course all my engineering classes required calculators. I never had a chance to use my good slide rule.

BTW, I'm old!!!!!:D

Howdy,

You brought back memories of my dearly departed father, a mechanical engineer, who held on to his slide rule for me when I went into engineering. 1980 was my freshman year, TIs with red LEDs were the thing, so I never learned how to use it, and eventually, the slide rule disappeared. I regret not learning on a slide rule and also not taking a class in civil engineering. OT.

If you think the drafting tools are great, you'e got to see the truly old blue prints! The lettering on them were works of art. And the line work wasn't bad either. I would have loved to have been able to take some that I used home and hang them on my walls. But the ones I used at work still represented standing buildings, so I couldn't take them home.

BTW, I'm old!!!!!:D

My aunt was a draftsman (I haven't heard the term luddite before--but she drew up blue prints by hand for architects) back in the 1960s and 1970s. I'm not sure if you mean older than that or not, but it was all done by hand.

My aunt was a draftsman (I haven't heard the term luddite before--but she drew up blue prints by hand for architects) back in the 1960s and 1970s. I'm not sure if you mean older than that or not, but it was all done by hand.

Nope, that's recent stuff :001_smile: I'm talking about the draftmen around 1915. That stuff was gorgeous.

Nope, that's recent stuff :001_smile: I'm talking about the draftmen around 1915. That stuff was gorgeous.

I thought you might mean something older, because I remember hand drawn blueprints from the 1960s and 1970s and they weren't beautiful. Very well done, but not what you had described.