Menu

Can you tell me about Half Magic. . .?

We just finished Half Magic and my kids loved it. But I can't tell if the author's following books are sequels that need to be read in order? Or just his various books?

And, if they're sequels, what order should they be read in?

And, are they worth it? Sequels aren't always as good as the original.

TIA!

Alicia

Oh, definitely read them all! They're all excellent! :)

Magic by the Lake has the same kids in it; then Knight's Castle and The Time Garden have their kids in them; and Magic or Not and The Wellwishers have a third set of kids. Seven Day Magic also has an unrelated third set. They are all really good, fun books which emphasize how fun and cool reading is! Knock yourselves out! :)

Seven Day is a stand-alone, except I think they might briefly touch on the end of Half Magic? Still, it's fine. The Half-Magic books are best in sequence, and the Magic or Not books need to be in order too.

Hilarious stuff. Knight's Castle is what got me to read Ivanhoe.

Depends on dc reading level -- and I never can figure out such riddles !

I was in 4th grade when I discovered them, I think. About the same for my dc.

Oh, sorry. I meant content wise like story plot and so forth. For example I think my 5 yr old is too young for Harry Potter.

Reading level....my 8 yr old is only just now reading Dr. Suess. Everything else is a read aloud. ;)

We just finished Half Magic and my kids loved it. But I can't tell if the author's following books are sequels that need to be read in order? Or just his various books?

And, if they're sequels, what order should they be read in?

And, are they worth it? Sequels aren't always as good as the original.

TIA!

Alicia

But I didn't read the sequals until I was an adult. The Wikipedia article on Edward Eager lays out the order of the books and the interconnectedness quite well.

For those wondering about the books in general. These are pretty sweet books. They do all contain magic, but it is magic that is associated with objects (wells, gardens, coins) with little to no discussion of the source of the magic. There really isn't a struggle between good and evil characters. More often, there is trouble caused by simply applying the magic. For example, what happens when the kids are moved around in time and appear in the middle of a castle siege. I'd say that it is more akin to the magic in Magician's Nephew (rings, pools, fruit) than Harry Potter.

Now I would say that some of their charm is that they have a bit of a twist on the typical fairy tale magic. For example, the magic in Half Magic is always half of what is wished (kids get sent to a desert instead of a desert island). It might not be as funny to kids who don't get the joke that the magic isn't working as they would expect. Still entertaining, but perhaps with lost irony.