Menu

Homeschooling in Georgia

anyone live there? There is a small chance we could be moving there. I checked HSLDA for requirements but would really like to hear from someone that lives there. We are in TX right now and homeschooling is very easy.

Thank-you for any info :)

I just left GA........ moved to MN. We lived in Paulding County. We never had any real problems......... send in your intent, send in monthly attendance, test once every 3 years and keep the results, and write up a progress report and keep for your own records (I only really did this once...shhhh! don't tell). I think that was it. The monthly attendance is a pain in the hindquarters but otherwise homeschooling in GA wasn't too bad.

As the others have said: annoying paperwork, but no difficulty. I know people who have been asked by their district for additional information (phone number, child's grade level), and while some have chosen to supply the information, others have simply stated that that's not information required by law, and they would rather not. Hasn't been an issue. Some districts also contact home schoolers who don't submit their attendance records in a timely manner (within a few weeks or a month after the end of the previous month), but even then, just an issue of sending in the paperwork. My district obviously couldn't care less about home schoolers. ;)

Besides the annual Declaration of Intent and the monthly attendance records (um, I should probably send April in, huh?), one must do a nationally normed test (like ITBS or Stanford) for grades 3, 6 and 9. However you do *not* submit these results -- just keep them on file. Same for the annual progress report -- write it up, file it away...

One nice thing about GA is there are tons and tons of home schoolers, and a great many opportunities for activities and enrichment.

just seconding the info you've gotten. pretty simple here, i don't even think the attendance forms are a pain. i pretty much fill them out once a month, make a copy and send it in. now if you are a complete and very precise rule follower (like i was my first year) it can be tiresome- or if you've previously never had to do it. but its really not that bad.

One nice thing about GA is there are tons and tons of home schoolers, and a great many opportunities for activities and enrichment.

This is true depending on where in GA you live. I only have a small number of homeschool opportunities where I live and they are either for lower elementary or year-long academic courses for high schoolers such as math and latin. I miss the last county we lived in where there were more opportunities for all age groups and interests.

This is true depending on where in GA you live. I only have a small number of homeschool opportunities where I live and they are either for lower elementary or year-long academic courses for high schoolers such as math and latin. I miss the last county we lived in where there were more opportunities for all age groups and interests.

Yeah - there was NOTHING where I lived. The closest activities were 45 min - an hour away.

One tip I learned from a veteran GA HSer was to go to HEIR's site and use their writable PDF for monthly hours. Now here is the catch: just sit down with the PS calendar and mark off the exact same days as the PS has. It adds up to the requisite "180 days". Print each month (all in one sitting), put each month into an envelope and address them with labels made on the computer.

I wrote the month that each one was in the corner where the stamp went and put them in my "official HS stuff" folder. At the beginning of each month, I simply pulled out the correct envelope, put on a stamp, and sent it in.

Let's face it: we all put in more than 180 days; this is just a paper drill for their files. No need to give more than is legally required.

a

PS: I actually moved before the school year was officially over, but I still sent in the last few months of time. I figured that, if anyone ever asked, I could prove that DS "finished X grade" in GA