Menu

FIAR or something similar?

elfinbaby

I'm thinking of doing FIAR for fun w/my kindergartner. She likes school type activities and I thought this would be a good program. I like that the books are chosen and activities are outlined for each. I'm just not sure I'm in love with FIAR. It's really only a supplement and I could put together something myself but I don't have the time right now. I'd like some kind of manual to give me a crutch for scheduling some read aloud time w/her and do fun things that relate to the book.

Suggestions??

FIAR is not a supplement. Especially at the Kinder age. It's a great resource! Perfect to pick activities from the book to do or to just use as a springboard to pick library books/videos just to expand on one topic. Follow her lead!

Here is a website that helped me tremendously. http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ click on the FIAR Resources tab and there are plenty of things, already made up, for you to print out and it's ready to go. You can do as little or as much as you want.

I would say go for it! At that age, sitting down to read together is about the best thing to do, well, in my not so humble opinion. ;)

I should clarify - I will be using it as a supplement:) Since we're focusing on reading mainly, then writing and math, I just want something to use as a guide for read alouds.

We did B4FIAR and it was just okay but she may have been too old for that volume. Maybe I can get my hands on a copy before purchasing to help me decide.

Is FIAR the only type of guide of its kind?

Thanks!

If you want something that has great literature and read alouds with activities AND includes a wonderful academic base as well with great phonics, math activities, etc. You might want to look at Heart of Dakota. There are lots of former FIAR moms on the boards over there so you could ask questions about how to two compare.

I will be using FIAR as a supplement to our phonics/handwriting program this fall for my K'er. She is my fourth child, so time will be limited. I bought vol. I, and it looks doable. I will most likely read the book and choose an activity or two to do with each one. I think you can make it what you want it to be. It looks fun!

I was all set to use LHFHG by HOD. Well, dd was getting board with LHTH (because of her age), and she was not ready for LHFHG. I got out FIAR and it is love at first sight for both of us!!! We are enjoying it sooo well, and she is learning soooo fast that I just don't know if I will get to LHFHG or not.

Since my dd is only 4 right now we are doing *Rowing-Lite*, but I see soooo much wonderful stuff in the guide that we are skipping (because of her age), and so much more at homeschoolshare that I know dd will love, so most likely we will re-row all of the books that we are doing lightly now. And because the books are sooo good and there are so many projects I can honestly say that we will not be board by re-rowing.

In less than 2 weeks, and with only telling her 1 or 2 times, she has learned where China, Yangtze River, Ohio, and Lake Erie are on the maps. She can now tell you why some items float and some sink, and she understands sour, salty, and sweet (I have not covered bitter). There is more, but that are our high lights. Not bad for a Pre-schooler. And she LOVES it!!!

I have the Bible Suppliment mentioned above and it is fantastic! Because Old Sneep was jealous of Co. Carter in Lentil we read stories from our Bible reader that shows what happens when people let jealousy rule in their hearts. When we read Madeline will read scripture that tells us to focus on whatsoever good, etc because in the book they "smiled at the good". These are just samplings, there is a lot more.

I also have the FIAR recipe book. This gives us time together in the kitchen building those domestic skills, and sharing more mommy/ daughter time.

Another lovely FIAR product is the story disk sheets. These have a laminated disk for each FIAR book. They are to be cut out and placed on the country or state that each story talks about. My lo begs to do this part!! You can just copy the ones in the manuel, but they are not in color or laminated. This can be done by your child though if you do not wish to purchase the laminated ones.

I cannot express just how much fun FIAR has brought to our days!! I know we are only 2 books into this journey and *some* of the novelity will wear off, but I never expected it to be this fun, or my 4 yo to learn so much so fast!!

I should clarify - I will be using it as a supplement:) Since we're focusing on reading mainly, then writing and math, I just want something to use as a guide for read alouds.

We did B4FIAR and it was just okay but she may have been too old for that volume. Maybe I can get my hands on a copy before purchasing to help me decide.

Is FIAR the only type of guide of its kind?

Thanks!

Ah, yes, but what you may not realize is that what you've listed there IS a complete Kindergarten program. ;) FIAR covers all subjects except math (computation), handwriting, and phonics. With FIAR you have social studies/history, geography, character training, practical math, science, art, and language arts. If you add the Bible supplement, then you have Bible, too. (Or you can do your own thing for Bible/religion, if you do that.) It really is quite sufficient for that age. :001_smile:

If you're just using FIAR for the read-alouds and not any of the other activities, then you don't necessarily need the manuals. Just use the booklist that's on their website. There's a link on the right-hand side of this page with the book list. http://www.fiveinarow.com/FIVEINAROW.html

Ah, yes, but what you may not realize is that what you've listed there IS a complete Kindergarten program. ;) FIAR covers all subjects except math (computation), handwriting, and phonics. With FIAR you have social studies/history, geography, character training, practical math, science, art, and language arts. If you add the Bible supplement, then you have Bible, too. (Or you can do your own thing for Bible/religion, if you do that.) It really is quite sufficient for that age. :001_smile:

Just wanted to let you know that my beliefs are not mainstream at all. Many religious curriculums will not work for us. FIAR seems to be solidly directing to scripture. No problems.