Menu

Question about Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading

chpiper

I am interested in using this, but haven't ordered it yet...I see that some used ones have white boards, CD's, and cards with them...how important are these items in the program? Is the book alone enough or do you need the additional items to use it properly?

Thanks!

Kara

*newbie who is drowning in choices for my 9th, 4th, K, and Pre K kiddos :001_unsure:

The book is enough. I use a white board (it's a small one, the kind on a child's easel) just because at first ds seemed to get overwhelmed if he looked at the whole page of writing. As we got more into it, this was less of an issue for him so I used just the book more. Now I sometimes use the white board just to be a little different but probably primarily use the book alone. I didn't use any CD's so dont' know what those are. There are times where she will suggest making flashcards for various things. I used index cards that we had around the house and made my own, not sure if you can purchase a set. They aren't time consuming to make though.

My daughter fought doing OPG when she saw the book ... she didn't like having to work through the scripting. If I write the selections out for her on the white board (or on paper, etc.) she doesn't balk at it.

You *can* certainly use just the book, M-girl has found it helpful if I write out the student portion elsewhere.