Menu

religious exemption in VA

I very strongly recommend that you listen to an HEAV introductory talk about homeschooling (should be available through their website--they do one every year and HEAV was just last weekend). They lay out very clearly what you should consider when doing religious exemption. Short answer: You should believe it is a *sin* for you to send your children to public school. You have to get affidavits/letters from your pastor and other references verifying things about your family.

When I lived in VA I just used the easy method--if you have a college degree, you can homeschool if you test annually.

Done well, religious exemption can be a blessing, and I have a couple of friends still living in VA who do it. Just don't do it lightly. I chose not to do it for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that I didn't really want that much information about my family (from the letters) going to the state.

I very strongly recommend that you listen to an HEAV introductory talk about homeschooling (should be available through their website--they do one every year and HEAV was just last weekend). They lay out very clearly what you should consider when doing religious exemption. Short answer: You should believe it is a *sin* for you to send your children to public school. You have to get affidavits/letters from your pastor and other references verifying things about your family.

When I lived in VA I just used the easy method--if you have a college degree, you can homeschool if you test annually.

Done well, religious exemption can be a blessing, and I have a couple of friends still living in VA who do it. Just don't do it lightly. I chose not to do it for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was that I didn't really want that much information about my family (from the letters) going to the state.

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/noi/filing_NOI.asp#option_i

My husband and I are seriously considering educating our kids under VA's religious exemption statute. Has anyone here done this? What has your experience been?

tia

Today, we do tend to consider it a sin to send our children to public school, since the bible commands us to "train up a child in the way he should go". However, we continue to do annual testing instead of religious exemption. One concern I have about using the exemption is related to college: What if Virginia decides in the future that children homeschooled under religious exemption are not allowed (or in some other way are limited in their ability) to attend public colleges in the state?

DS19 is at VA Tech now, which is a public school in the state of Virginia. As do most public schools, VA Tech CLEARLY considers the students to be under THEIR authority the day they walk in the door. This is, plainly and simply, exercising improper authority. We have decided that our son is no longer a child and is able to "go" properly now, even though we are still providing for all his needs.

This issue is not as simple for girls. For DS16, there will be no public college, since nowhere in the bible are women commanded to "leave" the headship of the father. Instead, she will attend a Christian school that clearly acknowledges the proper authority of the parents of children attending the school.

What if Virginia decides in the future that children homeschooled under religious exemption are not allowed (or in some other way are limited in their ability) to attend public colleges in the state?

Do you really think that's a possibility? Have VA public school authorities ever said anything like that?

Honestly, the main reason I haven't chosen to homeschool under that option, though I would qualify, is because everyone I know who homeschools under this option is not really academically homeschooling. They have 10 year olds who cannot read because they don't have timet to teach them to read. They homeschool for character, and if there's any time left over, they do academics. I just don't really want to be lumped into that.

All you need is a high school diploma, a curriculum, and you can use the form letter for your letter of intent. Go to Heav.org, they have everything you need.

It is easier if you don't use the religious exemption. The people I knew that tried to could never "prove" they needed to for religious reasons. I don't know how you go about it, but from the people I knew that tried it around here, it was nearly impossible.

Honestly, the main reason I haven't chosen to homeschool under that option, though I would qualify, is because everyone I know who homeschools under this option is not really academically homeschooling. They have 10 year olds who cannot read because they don't have timet to teach them to read. They homeschool for character, and if there's any time left over, they do academics. I just don't really want to be lumped into that.

While not everyone I know who homeschools under this option is doing their children an academic disservice, I do know quite a few who fit this description. It was very sad to see children of a particular age struggling with reading and simple math skills.

I think the amount of "proof" you have to provide is greatly determined by the county in which you reside. We have a lot of families homeschooling under religious exemption in this county. In fact, probably most of the families, at least the one which attend our church, file under this option.

When we originally started homeschooling I filed religious exemption and was never asked to go before the school board or submit any affidavits or letters. Could I have provided those things had I been asked, sure. But I was never asked. In fact, I filed under this exemption twice, once with my oldest son when we homeschooled him briefly in 4th grade, and again with my youngest two, and was never asked to provide anything. Perhaps there were no questions due to the fact that both times we filed, I stated that in addition to claiming religious exemption I was also enrolling my ds in Seton, which happened to be a state "approved" correspondence school. However, I have never known or heard of anyone, in this county, being required to prove their beliefs.

One of the reasons I chose this option was because I didn't want a failing school system telling me how to educate my children. I suppose one could go as far to say that that was my main reason; however, again, had I been required to submit any additional information or state my beliefs to the school board it wouldn't have been a problem.

What I did find interesting, after having my dss enrolled in the public elementary school for two years, was that the school system had no record of them being enrolled. Their school obviously had them enrolled, knew they were there, issued report cards to them, etc., but the county office had no clue. What I also found interesting, when speaking to the school secretary about this, was she mentioned another family (friends of ours) who had enrolled her dc a few weeks before us and they had no record of them either.

One concern I have about using the exemption is related to college: What if Virginia decides in the future that children homeschooled under religious exemption are not allowed (or in some other way are limited in their ability) to attend public colleges in the state?

The secretary also mentioned that we had not been "classified" as homeschoolers because we had claimed religious exemption. Remembering this, makes me wonder if there is any possibility of Reg's concern coming to fruition. Just a thought.

So again, I think the amount of flack you receive is determined by where you reside. That said, it is not an option I would claim unless I was fully prepared to provide certain information should I be asked.

Do you really think that's a possibility?
Not really.
Have VA public school authorities ever said anything like that?
No. In fact, I don't think they could pull this off even if they wanted to. OTOH, I do think demand at inexpensive, high-quality universities like we have in Virginia continue to increase, meaning that the schools can be more and more selective on incoming students. I would hate to think that some homeschoolers who WANT to attend might get passed over because of the stated beliefs of their parents, right or wrong.

The point of my post is to say that anyone considering filing for a religious exemption to homeschool in VA should think ahead to the future. What happens if homeschooling becomes impossible to you (for whatever reason) and you are compelled to put your child into the public school? Or what if you get to a point where you have one child in a public university and other children homeschooling, as we do? Please think through these scenarios so that you can feel comfortable with the possible implications of such situations before making the decision to use the religious exemption approach. That's all.

I think the amount of "proof" you have to provide is greatly determined by the county in which you reside.

The secretary also mentioned that we had not been "classified" as homeschoolers because we had claimed religious exemption. Remembering this, makes me wonder if there is any possibility of Reg's concern coming to fruition. Just a thought.

So again, I think the amount of flack you receive is determined by where you reside. That said, it is not an option I would claim unless I was fully prepared to provide certain information should I be asked.

You're probably very right, it depends on where you are. Just like the shot records going to the school nurse, done here, but nowhere else. I would be a little concerned that aren't being classified as homeschoolers. What ARE you classified as? That's a scary thought...

In this county, if you can write a nice enough letter of intent, they ignore your diploma and transcripts and say, 'you've proven a mastery of the English language' and use that as your qualification.

Btw, this is my 1000th post, woohoo me! Or, is it time to find a therapist?

Honestly, the main reason I haven't chosen to homeschool under that option, though I would qualify, is because everyone I know who homeschools under this option is not really academically homeschooling. They have 10 year olds who cannot read because they don't have timet to teach them to read. They homeschool for character, and if there's any time left over, they do academics. I just

don't really want to be lumped into that.

Dawn, how many people do you know homeschooling under religious exemption? I know you didn't mean to be insulting, but I admit to feeling a little insulted. :001_huh: We homeschool under the exemption and our goal is for a solid college prep education, plus character of course :001_smile: Our oldest dd just completed her first year of college with a 3.9 GPA, and she thrived in the academic enviornment! She absolutely loved college and felt better prepared than most of her classmates. I find what category we homeshool under doesn't come up often in conversation with people. I also find there are many who would qualify for the exemption but don't bother because the other categories are so easy. Please don't lump all of us together.

Thanks,

Mary

All you need is a high school diploma, a curriculum, and you can use the form letter for your letter of intent. Go to Heav.org, they have everything you need.

It is easier if you don't use the religious exemption. The people I knew that tried to could never "prove" they needed to for religious reasons. I don't know how you go about it, but from the people I knew that tried it around here, it was nearly impossible.

:iagree:

I know quite a few people who use the religeous exemption, but I don't recommend it. It limits your educational options a great deal, even before college. It's actually incrediably easy to HS in VA now.

I file with my HS diploma, and list what curricula I plan to use for math and language arts. At the end of the year I send in a portfolio of my children's work in those two subjects to show that they've learned something. The law requires "proof of adequate progress", but leaves it to the parent to determine what that means. So, for us, that means in July I mail my notice of intent for the kids (I send them all in on the same form.) We're using CLE for math and language arts, so I list that. I am NOT required to list what level each child is using, nor am I required to list each child's grade. Only name and birthdate. In June I mail in the portfolio for the year just completed. With CLE it's easy; I just mail in the test from each math & language arts Lightunit for each student. If you use something else, a few samples from the course of the year does just fine. It's actually rather mickey mouse, and still allows you to take advantage of some of the things the school system offers, like dual enrollment.

Dawn, how many people do you know homeschooling under religious exemption? I know you didn't mean to be insulting, but I admit to feeling a little insulted. :001_huh: We homeschool under the exemption and our goal is for a solid college prep education, plus character of course :001_smile: Our oldest dd just completed her first year of college with a 3.9 GPA, and she thrived in the academic enviornment! She absolutely loved college and felt better prepared than most of her classmates. I find what category we homeshool under doesn't come up often in conversation with people. I also find there are many who would qualify for the exemption but don't bother because the other categories are so easy. Please don't lump all of us together.

Thanks,

Mary

Of course I know not everyone does that, but I personally know eight families who do, and they fit my description. What I am saying is that I think it is great for those who really are religiously opposed, but not great to use as an option if you just don't want to be held accountable at all. I think in the long run, these situations may actually hurt it for those who really are educating their children and using religious exemption.

What I was saying was that for me, I prefer to follow the other option. And, yes, I do feel that if too many people are using religious exemption, there may be some buckling down regarding this.

In my post, I was simply referring to the people I know. I'm sorry, I thought I was clear on that.

Edited by nestof3

I know quite a few people who use the religeous exemption, but I don't recommend it. It limits your educational options a great deal, even before college. It's actually incrediably easy to HS in VA now.

I file with my HS diploma, and list what curricula I plan to use for math and language arts. At the end of the year I send in a portfolio of my children's work in those two subjects to show that they've learned something. The law requires "proof of adequate progress", but leaves it to the parent to determine what that means. So, for us, that means in July I mail my notice of intent for the kids (I send them all in on the same form.) We're using CLE for math and language arts, so I list that. I am NOT required to list what level each child is using, nor am I required to list each child's grade. Only name and birthdate. In June I mail in the portfolio for the year just completed. With CLE it's easy; I just mail in the test from each math & language arts Lightunit for each student. If you use something else, a few samples from the course of the year does just fine. It's actually rather mickey mouse, and still allows you to take advantage of some of the things the school system offers, like dual enrollment.

Thanks, everyone for your responses. It's been a couple weeks since I originally posted this, but I'm still thinking about it, and am about to write my letter in the next week or so. I have, for the last couple of years, simply listed my curriculum and sent in the test scores, checked the box and moved on from there, i.e. i've been homeschooling under the high school diploma homeschooling option. however, my thoughts about even that have changed.

my husband's only concern is what some have mentioned above, and that is that it might pose difficulty for my ds later when it comes time to go to college. however, if i am making this decision based on my objection to the government's involvement in the education of my children, and they later punish my son because of that (when he is of age to make his own decisions as to whether or not to attend a state school), then we have to consider that God will make provision for us. The question here is do I trust him to provide if I honor him with the decisions I believe He has placed upon my heart to make? since i believe he is truly calling me out, dual enrollment or other "benefits" would not be something i have an interest in. it would be a compromise to say "i don't want you involved in my life, mr. gov't, but i'll take a few of the juicy morsels you throw down, since they're convenient for me." KWIM? i can't make a faith-based decision on the one hand, and hold out for contingencies on the other. so, i think i'm going to go for it...

thanks for your input. it really was helpful! :001_smile:

? since i believe he is truly calling me out, dual enrollment or other "benefits" would not be something i have an interest in. it would be a compromise to say "i don't want you involved in my life, mr. gov't, but i'll take a few of the juicy morsels you throw down, since they're convenient for me." KWIM? i can't make a faith-based decision on the one hand, and hold out for contingencies on the other. so, i think i'm going to go for it...

Then it sounds like that's a good option for you. :)