Menu

Weight loss--what am I doing wrong?

The only times in my life I have been successful at losing weight were when I ate around 1,000 calories per day, and ate lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies.

I am literally starving on that little food. So, I am striving for 1200-1400 cal/day, avoiding sugar and refined grains. I'm trying to eat "healthy" fats in moderation, and eat a good balance of healthy carbs, protein and lots of produce. I use the elliptical 30-45min at least 3 times a week, but usually it's 5. I do mild strength training with hand weights and a fitness ball 2X/week. I've had my thyroid checked. It is fine. I start losing when I drop to the 1000 calories/day. If I do 1000 calories most days, but then, say on the weekends, do 1500, I don't lose anything that week.

The experts say that "diets don't work" so I thought I'd try this approach, which isn't working for me. I really just want to eat like a normal person. Is there anything I can do to speed up my metabolism? I am over 200lb, so I think I shouldn't have to severly restrict calories to lose weight. Oh, and I need to lose around 50lbs. Thanks!

Some thoughts. Write down what you are eating during the day. Sometimes the last bite of a roll or cookie, a few chips, little things like that can add up to a couple hundred calories. Are you drinking enough water? Can you do short burst i.e. 30 seconds of higher intensity with 2min cool down on your workouts? When do you work out. I lost most of my weight when I had a banana or half a protien bar and exercised first thing in the morning and didn't eat a single bite of cookies, or bread or even a sip of soda. I stopped eating after dinner and didn't take another spoonful or eat the last bite of whatever, like I usually did. It was hard I didn't realize I had gotten into these bad habits which I feel attributed to my not losing weight. I had also gotten into the worse habit of all stopping for french fries or just a small burger when I was out around lunch time. It doesn't seem like much but eating out is another problem I had. HTH.

You probably are starving your body. It's holding on to everything. I did this until I joined weight watchers and learned to eat properly. A 1000 cals a day for your weight is way under...rethink your approach. I did WW online and learned alot. Maybe sparkplace would give you some good information. I'm in Europe and struggling to find information in English. I know this is no help...but truly you sound as if your eating to little.

Hang in there and don't give up hope. :)

Have you considered a low carb approach? One that's not fat phobic? There is a considerable amount of research that suggests that dietary fat does not create weight problems.

I lost 40+ pounds eating meat and (non starch) veggies. I was not hungry, could eat whenever I wanted.

I did have to give up some things, but *for me*, giving up sugar and grains (temporarily) was a match for my body.

We all need to go back on it, but it was the first "diet" I've found that worked for our family. I would encourage you to go check the book out at the library. It is really encouraging and it isn't extreme like Atkins is. I think it is a healthy way of eating if you really follow his advice. He is a cardiologist and he developed the diet to help people in his practice.

I know I need to go back and read it again and get my family back on track...we have all pudged quite a bit here because we have lost sight of our goals.

By the way...I'm right up there with you...I weighed 194 when I stepped on the scales this morning....Don't give up!

You probably are starving your body. It's holding on to everything.

I agree with this. If you eat too few calories your metabolism will slow and you won't lose weight at all.

This website will help you figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight:

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/blcalintake.htm

In order to lose weight shave off 500 calories from that and add in physical activity.

Eat several small meals a day to help stave off hunger feelings.

Have a few healthy snack things that are more or less "free" foods calorie-wise like bell pepper strips, celery, etc.

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein.

I, too, think you aren't eating enough. I have lost 84 pounds in the last 12 months by eating a high fiber, low fat diet with @ 1400-1600 calories a day, although I don't really worry @ calories. I eat lots of whole grains, fruits, veggies and I was eating lean protein. I am now vegan and eat a few servings of beans per day instead. I cut out sugar, white anything and all junk food. I eat breads, bagels, wraps etc, but I make sure they are whole grain. You need good fats so make sure to get some throughout the day also. I do excersise daily, so maybe increase to 5 days per week.

Best wishes!

Have you considered a low carb approach? One that's not fat phobic? There is a considerable amount of research that suggests that dietary fat does not create weight problems.

I haven't really tried "low carb" other than when I've been successful, it's been somewhat low carb by default. I don't think I'm fat-phobic. I use a fair amount of olive oil in my cooking. I just try not to go overboard b/c heart disease runs in my family (my mom had her first heart attack at 50).

I will give low carb consideration. South Beach Diet was mentioned. I actually have that book. I guess I should READ it, lol.