Menu

American History for 7th/8th grade

What is a good curriculum/text/spine for American History for the 7th/8th grade? I'd like something that is already scheduled or easy to schedule and possibly includes questions and tests.

I bought The History of US series several years ago (2nd ed.) and haven't used it yet. I thought it would make a good spine but I'm hearing mixed reviews about Hakim. Can I still use it? Is there a schedule already developed out there?

Thanks!

I tried sooooo hard to like AAH, but it was terribly dry and the organization of the student textbook was annoying to me. Some still like it, though. I must say that the Teacher's Guide was EXCELLENT and so were the For Further Study questions included in the Student Activity book. Last year I had hoped to somehow use Hakim and the parts of AAH that I liked, but that would have been too time consuming so I chucked the idea. Hakim is wonderful! Very engaging and it reads like a good novel. Highly recommended. Winter Promise schedules Hakim for High School American history, but you have to buy the guides to get the schedule. You can use it with their American Crossing and American Culture programs for your middler or high schooler, but it's not cheap. Hewitt Homeschooling also has a syllabus for reading through all 10 volumes in one year---along with some projects and tests. I'm not familiar with this, though. LoveToLearn.net and TheDowSchoolRoom.com both sell the Hakim teacher guides, which are pricey if you don't buy them used. Many don't find them necessary. Others, like the PP mentioned, like to use Hakim with the SL Core 100 guide. Right now we're just reading and discussing. HTH!

Rainbow Resource sells teachers guides to go with the History of US books.

I just ordered mine minutes ago!

I have the middle grade/high school guides which I borrowed from my charter school library but what I didn't know was that they also have guides if you are teaching to 5th graders. I borrowed vol. 3 via inter-library loan and definitely want to use this for my rising 5th grader for US History. It contains the usual fill in the blanks and vocabulary bits, but also have prompts for writing which I liked about the middle grade/HS guides.

The 5th grade guides runs about $18 + on Rainbow site; too bad, it's expensive. I can copy off the books I borrowed but I hate copying.

My dd 7th grade, is finishing up Sonlight's Core 100. It is all laid out and uses The History of US as the spine. It has been a big hit. I did not use every aspect of the core, but we did all the history readings and literature. It was the first time I used Sonlight and it was so nice to have something all done for me. In the past, I pulled from several different sources and this was so much less work. I bought the IG used and got most of the books from the library. Since you already own the Hakim books, it should be quite inexpensive, if that is a factor for you. The Hakim books aren't perfect but I think Sonlight does a fairly good job of discussing some potential issues parents might have with them.

HTH.

Beth:)

Ooops... forgot something. You can also get tests and syllabus to go with The History of US books from Hewitt Homeschool. I used the tests but not the syllabus, since I was using SL but you could do that instead.

http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/bsingle.asp?i=2852

Edited by Beth in IN
forgot something

I'll put my plug in for using Ambleside Online's Years 4 and 5 for 7th/ 8th grade. The books are terrific and Carol H. has several wonderful schedules on her website.

http://www.amblesideonline.org/index2.shtml

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cheps/pdf.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmblesideOnline/files/Schedules%2C%20Forms%2C%20and%20Checklists/Schedule%20Forms%2C%20Booklist%20Graphs/ Scroll down and find: Project AO Year 4R 12 week terms.doc

The documents for each Year in a table format are my favorite.

Please don't think these books are for little children because of the Year 4 & 5 title. They are not baby-ish books at all.

I used these Years for my older dc when they were in 6th-8th grade, and they have done very well with the great books during high school.

HTH

Edited by MicheleinMN
added link to yahoo group and document

I bought The History of US series several years ago (2nd ed.) and haven't used it yet. I thought it would make a good spine but I'm hearing mixed reviews about Hakim. Can I still use it? Is there a schedule already developed out there?

I used it, and liked it. I tried AAH, but as a previous poster had mentioned. . . it was "dry" (and drove me nuts).

I do happen to have a schedule for this. I took 2 years to do it in, so obviously my schedule is that long, but you could "scrunch" it.

The quizzes mentioned in the schedule come from the test booklet that you can buy with the series. We stopped using them by book 2, as they are just M/C, and I wanted something "meatier". I wound up just giving writing assignments to go along with our studies. (And to be perfectly honest, it was more random than it should have been.)

Anyway, if you're interested, it's found here on my blog.

I used it, and liked it. I tried AAH, but as a previous poster had mentioned. . . it was "dry" (and drove me nuts).

I do happen to have a schedule for this. I took 2 years to do it in, so obviously my schedule is that long, but you could "scrunch" it.

I will be using the Hakim series and teaching guides this year. Thanks to Christine's schedule (with some tweaking) and the Teaching Guides, I have the year planned out. Thanks's Christine.:)

Both schedules take two years to cover the ten books. The difference is that Christine has her schedule planned out for 5 days/wk, and mine is set up for 3 days/week (Mon. 45 min, Tues. 90 min, and Thurs. 90 min.)

The beauty of Christine's schedules is that the hard part is already done for you. You just have to decide if you want to use them as they are or tweak them to fit your family.

I believe (hope) the Teaching Guides will be a huge help. Again, it's a situation where a lot of the thinking/planning is already done for you.

And, just in case you decide to go with the Hakim series, I happen to know of a place where you can get the middle school level teaching guides for books 3 and 4 (brand new) for $12 ea. ppd. I accidentally purchased duplicate copies and it's too late to return them. :)

The quizzes mentioned in the schedule come from the test booklet that you can buy with the series. We stopped using them by book 2, as they are just M/C, and I wanted something "meatier". I wound up just giving writing assignments to go along with our studies. (And to be perfectly honest, it was more random than it should have been.)

I should add, that the Oxford University Press Teaching Guides for the series do have tests in them. However, unlike the test booklet from the series, they have short answer/essay type questions in them as well as multiple choice.

In addition, the guides also include learning activities created by Johns Hopkins University. Although these activities were designed for classroom use, it appears that it won't be difficult to use them in a home setting. Again, a little tweaking, but the ideas are great and I don't have to think of them.

Anyway, if you're interested, it's found here on my blog.

Christine - Thank you for your schedule. It looks great - very thorough. I haven't checked the entire schedule, but it looks like my book 10 is the 2nd edition so stops at Chapt. 44 - A Boy From Hope. I'm sure still usable.

Did you use a guide with the books? If so, where did you get them? Am I really looking at $18-19 per book (Rainbow Resource)?

Sonlight has the Core 100 for $406 without the A History of Us books (but I have a previous edition). Yikes!

Oxford University Press has an Assessment Book for books 1-10 for $49.95. Is that the tests you used?

Hewitt Homeschooling has a Junior High Syllabus & Tests for $9. Is that the one you used?

Thanks - Sue

I will be using the Hakim series and teaching guides this year. Thanks to Christine's schedule (with some tweaking) and the Teaching Guides, I have the year planned out. Thanks's Christine.:)

Both schedules take two years to cover the ten books. The difference is that Christine has her schedule planned out for 5 days/wk, and mine is set up for 3 days/week (Mon. 45 min, Tues. 90 min, and Thurs. 90 min.)

The beauty of Christine's schedules is that the hard part is already done for you. You just have to decide if you want to use them as they are or tweak them to fit your family.

I believe (hope) the Teaching Guides will be a huge help. Again, it's a situation where a lot of the thinking/planning is already done for you.

And, just in case you decide to go with the Hakim series, I happen to know of a place where you can get the middle school level teaching guides for books 3 and 4 (brand new) for $12 ea. ppd. I accidentally purchased duplicate copies and it's too late to return them. :)

Peggy - Do you have your 3 day schedule where I could copy it? Monday, Tuesday and Thursday is exactly what I'm looking to do this next year.

Where did you get your teaching guides? I'm not sure if I want to spend $18-19 per book! I might be interested in the two you have for books 3 & 4 if there is no other place to get a deal for buying the entire set.

Were you referring to the Assessment Book through Oxford University Press for $49.95 for the tests you use?

Do you know what the $9 syllabus & tests for Hewitt are like?

Thanks, Sue

Christine - Thank you for your schedule. It looks great - very thorough.

Thanks

Did you use a guide with the books?

No,

If so, where did you get them? Am I really looking at $18-19 per book (Rainbow Resource)?

and this would be the reason why. . . ;)

Oxford University Press has an Assessment Book for books 1-10 for $49.95. Is that the tests you used?

Yes, would not recommend them.

Hewitt Homeschooling has a Junior High Syllabus & Tests for $9. Is that the one you used?

Hewitt came out with their stuff after I had already created my schedule, so no I did not use it. Nor have I seen it.

I seem to recall a lady contacting me in the past year though, and she was planning to use it. She seemed to think the Hewitt tests were pretty good (not all M/C), but, again I have not seen them. (I'll check my emails, I may have saved it -- I think she gave a fair description of them when she was discussing them with me. . .)

Hewitt came out with their stuff after I had already created my schedule, so no I did not use it. Nor have I seen it.

I seem to recall a lady contacting me in the past year though, and she was planning to use it. She seemed to think the Hewitt tests were pretty good (not all M/C), but, again I have not seen them. (I'll check my emails, I may have saved it -- I think she gave a fair description of them when she was discussing them with me. . .)

Christine - Not only do you have an excellent schedule for these history books, but you are a wiz at manipulating my questions so your answers appear right where they should be! How do you do that?

Thank you for checking your e-mails for information on the Hewitt syllabus and tests. $9 isn't that bad if it turns out not to be valuable. I'm also interested in their Lightening Literature, but I'm concerned my kids will be overloaded since they already will have a writing class through a co-op. Looks like you have done that as well.

Sue

Christine - Not only do you have an excellent schedule for these history books, but you are a wiz at manipulating my questions so your answers appear right where they should be! How do you do that?

multiple quotes -- just have to be sure you have the "quote=" in brackets before each item and the "/quote" in brackets after each item.

Thank you for checking your e-mails for information on the Hewitt syllabus and tests. $9 isn't that bad if it turns out not to be valuable.

I found the email, and am quoting Robin (who wrote the email to me). She was planning to incorporate the Hewitt tests into her sched. (modifying mine to suit her needs). I had asked her what she thought of the tests, and this is what her response was. (Remember, this was her planning stages, so I'm not sure what she thought after she started using them.)

Okay' date=' I'm looking at the Hewitt's tests right now so I can give you some feedback.

Book 1 has 18 questions and here is the breakdown:

5 multiple choice

11 short answer questions (ex. #11 What natural event helped Columbus convince the Indians in Jamaica to feed his men and himself? - so not too deep but not MC either)

2 matching w/ each question having either 9 or 12 "pairs"

then 1 essay question for extra credit

The tests seem to start weeding out the multiple choice so by the 5th book, there is only 2 and by the 10th book there aren't any. Also the short answers seem to require more "thinking type responses" then one word type answers. This make sense? Probably not! The nice thing is the answers are available, the syllabus came w/ project ideas (not that I'm a project type of person, but if I were, they would be available) and the whole cost was minimal compared to my other expenses [/quote']

Peggy - Do you have your 3 day schedule where I could copy it? Monday, Tuesday and Thursday is exactly what I'm looking to do this next year.

Unfortunately, no. However, if you PM me your e-mail address I will be more than happy to send it to you.

Where did you get your teaching guides? I'm not sure if I want to spend $18-19 per book! I might be interested in the two you have for books 3 & 4 if there is no other place to get a deal for buying the entire set.

The guide for the first book I purchased from Oxford University Press about 4 years ago. The other 4 I purchased from Amazon. I tried to find them used, but after adding in the shipping costs it just made more sense to buy them new.

Were you referring to the Assessment Book through Oxford University Press for $49.95 for the tests you use?

No, the tests I have are included in the Teaching Guides.

In looking at the guide for the 2nd book there are no m/c questions. They are all short answer/essay type questions. In addition, at the end of each section it offers Alternative Assessments which require writing an essay.

The guides also offer issues for debate, making ethical judgments, and projects/activities.

Do you know what the $9 syllabus & tests for Hewitt are like?

No, I have never actually seen it. I did consider getting it, but instead chose to go with the full guides due to the maps and other resource pages that are included with them.