Menu

What is Top-Down Learning and

luckymom

what curriculum works this way?

TIA

I wasn't familiar with the "top-down" terminology so I spent a few minutes reading different sites. It sounds like it can essentially be summarized as learning that goes from explicit to implicit knowledge vs. bottom-up learning (that is, learning that goes from implicit to explicit knowledge).

I would suggest that all standardized "school" curricula teach that way. Explicit meaning that there is direct teaching of the "knowledge" that you want students to acquire and hopes that that knowledge base will lead to higher cognitive understanding of the implicit......what is inferred and not directly taught.

I guess programs like Montessori would be more bottom-up......leave the student to explore certain ideas (like playing with a balance beam and weights) and through that exploration it leads to the more explicit concepts......(if I put equal amt of weights on each side the scale is balanced.)

This is apparently simply one educational paradigm. I am more familiar with explaining learning in terms of Bloom's taxonomy (knowledge vs. evaluation).

Does that help and is that your understanding of the philosophy? Like I said, I am not familiar with the terms and most of the sites I found were more along the lines of business models vs. elementary education.

ETA: I think another correlation would be between learning a foreign language via a textbook grammar approach vs. immersion.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

child was a top-down learner and I just wondered what that meant. I do not remember the OP or I would ask directly.

OP was saying that understanding this about dc helped teach better.

to me this is global learner.

someone who starts with the "big picture" and works their way down to the details of it.

rather than starting with the details and adding to them until they get the full picture.

global learner? Or, how do you teach a global learner?

have you tried mercy academy's learning styles test? altho they are a catholic homeschool academy, the test is great for anyone and they recommend curriculum suggestions to match the indidivdual profile, many if not most, aren't catholic due to a limited providers of that nature. they give great tips on how the child learns best and how they don't learn at all. VERY worth the $25

off the top of my head a few ideas that might or might not be on the Mercy list..

mapping the world by heart

MUS

a charlotte mason styled writing/grammar

hands on science kits

biography based history