Menu

I'm looking for something different

keptwoman

to do instead of history next year.

I quite like the look of WPs Sea and Sky but it costs a packet. Particularly when you have to convert it to Australian dollars and pay for the shipping which is hundreds of dollars.

I've pondered Sonlight.

Has anyone done Epic Adventures... Raiders of the Renaissance mind?

Any other suggestions? They need to be either secular or easily secularised.

Well, we're taking a break from WTM history for the summer at least to do a unit-study-ish thing on biomes of the world incorporating studying something about the indigenous peoples who live in the various biomes, as well as the plants and animals---talking a bit about how the geography and climate affect the ways in which they live, that sort of thing. Combination of history, social studies, geography, science.

You would want to take it more in-depth than I am as your kids IIRC are older (my daughter's almost 9), but it's shaping up to be quite interesting. We're just starting with tropical rainforests and were discussing that people indigenous to that environment would not have a frame of reference for something like the story of Demeter and Persephone. I came across a reference to the Mbuti tribe of Africa whose religion teaches that their ancestors were born of the trees, for instance, and is very concerned with "forestness". Interesting to compare that to the religion of a people who came out a desert environment or the Arctic tundra. I would think that Australia would give you a lot of scope to do something like that focusing on the biomes in Australia (we're looking at the world, esp for the rainforest aspect, but focusing mostly on North America).

Geography? That's what we do before every new history cycle (with MFW - not secular). Ds will finish modern times next January & do geog. again.

We use a lot of games, music, and crafts. We tie in things like science biomes & current events & cultural highlights.

Geography really helps with the history after that, since we all understand where we're talking about so well.

I'm not sure about specific secular geography. Maybe around the world in 180 days?

Just a thought.

Brimwood Press? (It is history, but at a 'big picture' view -- more of an overall timeline. And, you can study worldviews as part of it too.)

Beyond Five in a Row?

I like the idea of a year of geography &/or cultural studies.

Economics/money course for a semester? Current events for another semester?

Unit studies that would appeal to you & your dc?

Well, we're taking a break from WTM history for the summer at least to do a unit-study-ish thing on biomes of the world incorporating studying something about the indigenous peoples who live in the various biomes, as well as the plants and animals---talking a bit about how the geography and climate affect the ways in which they live, that sort of thing. Combination of history, social studies, geography, science.

You would want to take it more in-depth than I am as your kids IIRC are older (my daughter's almost 9), but it's shaping up to be quite interesting. We're just starting with tropical rainforests and were discussing that people indigenous to that environment would not have a frame of reference for something like the story of Demeter and Persephone. I came across a reference to the Mbuti tribe of Africa whose religion teaches that their ancestors were born of the trees, for instance, and is very concerned with "forestness". Interesting to compare that to the religion of a people who came out a desert environment or the Arctic tundra.

Can I just say that that sounds like an incredible unit study. I love it! :thumbup1:

Oh I second BF. We are going to use, well it's on my list to use, it next year. Another thing that I always wanted to take a year or semester to do would be Sonlight Core 5 The Eastern Hemisphere, or something like that. I think it's important for the kids to have a good understanding/foundation of eastern cultures as our world becomes more globalized.