Menu

Buying all the books and supplies you want/need?

pooh bear

I have been looking through the new WTM book in preparation for 5th grade. It certainly has been an eye opener. We have been very relaxed about school, and this coming year I really want to make it feel like we are doing something.

I am looking at starting to buy the stuff that we will need for 5th grade. We really do not have that many books, and only a couple that are listed in the WTM.

When you first started out using the WTM, did you buy everything that is recommend? I had thought about borrowing from the library, but this year I want to have them right there on the book case. We have used the library so much over the past few years. I want to be able to write in books, bend covers back and generally use them, and worry about them being library books.

I was going to borrow some of them to see what they like, but my library system is not that good.

If I start putting money aside each week now, then by Janurary we will be able to start 5th grade. Would it be crazy to buy book or science supply that is recommend for the grade that your children will be working on?

Edited by Pooh Bear

Yes it would be crazy to buy every book or supply listed...However, choose some...the ones that appeal to you most. Then...if you go to garage sales or library sales, you can quickly build your home library for MUCH cheaper. Also, look on the swap boards for programs you may find useful...again you can find them for a fraction of the original cost. Be choosy...or you will end up like me...every room in my house is a library and I ended up with so many books and programs I was totally overwhelmed. This year I weeded through without mercy and I feel so much better.

Good luck and enjoy book shopping. It is my favorite hobby.:)

~~Faithe

Be choosy...or you will end up like me...every room in my house is a library and I ended up with so many books and programs I was totally overwhelmed. This year I weeded through without mercy and I feel so much better.

It is my favorite hobby.:)

~~Faithe

:iagree: I was the SAME way and now I have been selling it off because there isn't enough time in the day or years to homeschool.

I love to look over other people's book lists too. This can get dangerous...so for the more expensive book possibilities/purchases (history or science encyclopedias-Kingfisher or Usborne? DK books, etc.) I use inter-library loan to look at what piques my interest for the next school year. There have been times when I didn't get whatever book that was soooo highly recommended by everyone else because when I got to look the book over for myself, I knew it just wouldn't work for me and my crew. Or try to see if any other homeschool families will let you borrow some of their stuff to see if it will work for you. This was how I was finally able to find the right math programs for my guys.

Hope you can find the right stuff for your family:001_smile:.

The other thing I've done is to wait until I need the book and then purchase it. So, let's say you're going to study Christopher Columbus, Leif Erickson and George Washington. I'd buy Leif Erickson and Christopher Columbus' books first, then, later in the year, buy the book on George Washington. This has saved me money because it's helped me spread out the cost and I only buy the books we're going to use. Even better, Barnes and Nobles and Borders will order the book for you and you don't have to buy it if you don't want to. There's been a couple of resources that don't have samples online that I've ordered through Borders and decided I didn't want. They also have a great return policy.

blessings!

Dorinda

PS can you tell I have American History on the brain?:lol:

I've bought more books than usual this year, because I want to use a lot of the Sonlight 3 books to go with SOTW 3. I have 19 from one person, but got them for about 2 bucks a book, which was worth it just to have them on the shelf.

Don't buy everything--no one can do it all.

I doubt that anyone buys ALL the books. But it can be a pain getting everything from the library, even if you have a good one with a great website like we do. I'd say to start with, get the books that you will use the most...the broad-topic spines and reference books. Then, if you still have money, check your library to see which items they carry. Buy the things you want but that the library doesn't have. Then if you still have money, go ahead and buy whatever else you just want to have on your shelf that will be used again...or not. :)

Blessings.

I've had years that I did buy it all and years that I planned to use the library. We definitely got more done when we owned the books, but now I have shelves full of books that I doubt I'll use again. This year I'm getting as much as I can used. I get most TM's for half price and most literature for $2-$3. Consumables give me no choice, so I find where they're the cheapest and place a big order to save on shipping. I'm also going to try to spread things out this year by waiting to purchase the 2nd sememster books until I need them.

I have so many friends who have shelves full of stuff that they don't even end up using!