Menu

Vent--Why Can't People who advertise a job respond promptly to those who apply?

I have numerous resumes, applications and such out right now, and I'm just wishing so hard to hear back from people! I know it's hard when you get a bazillion replies, but honestly, I need to find a job, and I can't wait 2 weeks for someone to get back to me! These are not big corporations or anything, just babysitting and pet sitting, and 3 of them have asked me to call, but they don't call back!

I know, I know, be anxious for nothing, be patient, all that. I just feel invisible.

Haha--Mrs. F, no I'm not in SC.

And AnneR, I know just what you mean. There was a person who offered to pay me cash--it's a way for families to pay less, and sitters to make more, because the sitter doesn't pay the taxes (so the sitter doesn't pay the roughly 30% to the gov't.). It was a red flag to me. I was so tempted to say, "Of course I accept checks. And I know you want to surround your child with persons of integrity." Needless to say, I'm not sitting for them.

That was the most frustrating part for both my dh and I. The worst was the place where he went on 2 intervews at the same place and then was never contacted. He even called and left a message to see what the deal was and no answer.

One of the guys who used to work for us put in 300 applications and got 2 responses.

I think it is just really bad right now.

It sure is hard being on the "waiting" end of things. At one point in my working career, I was a recruiter of support staff for a hospital. I received piles and piles of resume's, and it was so difficult to even keep them in some sort of order (this was the days before scanning in resume's to then do keyword searches when looking to fill a position) let alone respond to let people know you had received their resume's. However, I always responded to people via a letter after an interview, as I felt it was the considerate thing to do.