Menu

Playing catch up - 4th grade math

My son is 10 and does quite well at math, but being next in line after his older brother (the math whiz) has not been a good thing. He has been so stressed out about math, that we have curriculum hopped a little too much and now he's behind. He understands how to borrow and carry numbers but could use some review. He hasn't even started on multiplication yet, although he already understands the concept and is doing some basic facts.

I'm really frustrated trying to pick the right curriculum for this year. We need to find one thing that works and stick with it. We need something that will review earlier concepts and also gently get him up to grade level.

This is a kid who "gets" math, but worries about every little detail. Right now we have abandoned the books and I'm working with him one-on-one, but we aren't going to be able to keep that up much longer.

What would you recommend??

Thanks!

My son failed Kindergarten and his math was miserable when I started home schooling him in Second Grade. I started with first grade math from Singapore math books. He turned out to be quite talented. We worked hard and he finished 6th grade math and started Algebra after about 20 months.

I was stunned by how good these books were. I have always been good at math and they taught math the way that I think about math. I always thought that I was an oddball in my math thinking, but these books helped me see that any good math mind probably thinks this same way. I highly recommend them.

Singapore is what his brother used and he adamantly refuses to use the same book. This kid just has to be different. We've learned that allowing him to have his own set of books just makes everything more peaceful and with three kids we can manage that.

But thanks for the suggestion!

My son is 10 and does quite well at math, but being next in line after his older brother (the math whiz) has not been a good thing. He has been so stressed out about math, that we have curriculum hopped a little too much and now he's behind. He understands how to borrow and carry numbers but could use some review. He hasn't even started on multiplication yet, although he already understands the concept and is doing some basic facts.

I'm really frustrated trying to pick the right curriculum for this year. We need to find one thing that works and stick with it. We need something that will review earlier concepts and also gently get him up to grade level.

This is a kid who "gets" math, but worries about every little detail. Right now we have abandoned the books and I'm working with him one-on-one, but we aren't going to be able to keep that up much longer.

What would you recommend??

Thanks!

We use Saxon. If he knows his math facts he can go into 5/4 no problem.

Singapore is what his brother used and he adamantly refuses to use the same book. This kid just has to be different. We've learned that allowing him to have his own set of books just makes everything more peaceful and with three kids we can manage that.

But thanks for the suggestion!

I feel like I have been recommending this a lot lately, but take a look at BJU. I would look at level 3. That is where they start really into multiplication and division; however, it starts with a review of carrying and borrowing. You could get by with just the workbook to see if it is going to work for him before deciding if you want/need to invest in more of it. The 3rd edition workbooks are great.

Another suggestion which I'm only making because you seem comfortable with teaching math, is Ray's Intellectual Math. That one little book is just problems and tables, from the 1800's. BUT it covers everything from addition to ratios and percentages. You could use the same book for a couple of years, and he wouldn't feel like he is behind in math at all. My dd loves to have me read the word problems to her over breakfast, and my youngest wants to know when she will be old enough for her own book. The problem sets are very incremental, and they build confidence. If you do standardized testing, you would probably have to substitute with something more specifically test focused.

Rod & Staff. He should be able to go in at grade level. All concepts are covered starting at the beginning. The already covered in previous grades material is just covered very quickly. You can slow down just a little if he hasn't quite grasped that lesson. There are extra practice pages at the very end of the book for just that reason. In fact, you can do odds. Add evens the next day if necessary. Do the extra practice page if he still needs more.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've been homeschooling for 8 years and so I don't do much curriculum looking anymore. I'm amazed at the new curriculum choices that are out there now, or at least ones I haven't heard about.

Yes, I am quite comfortable teaching math. It's probably my biggest strength, I just have two other children that are dyslexic that take up so much time. This little guy is actually quite intuitive in math, he just doesn't believe it yet.

I'm off to start checking out your suggestions and see what might appeal to him and accomplish my goal to catch him up!

Thanks!!

From what I see of the sample chapter online for BJU Math 3, it's a great fit for my fella. I'm not at all familiar though with all their "pieces and parts".

I see a "Teacher's Edition," a "Home Teacher's Edition," flip charts, visual packets and worktext.

What do I need? We have lots of manips at home and I'm quite comfortable with math, so I don't need lots of bells & whistles, but I do want to make sure we have the essentials.

Thanks!

If you are comfortable with teaching math, then just the worktext. The Teacher's edition for the 3rd revision includes a cd that has extra practice sheets you can printout and has very detailed teaching instructions. But the worktext itself has a note to parents at the beginning of each chapter that tells you what facts need to be learned during that chapter. And there is review built in. I think the flip charts and such are more geared towards classrooms. There is a manipulatives packet that has punchout paper manipulatives like a clock, and a number line, and shapes, and the 2nd grade one had triangle addition fact flash cards. I bought the teacher's guide and manipulatives pack last year, but barely used either so I didn't buy them this year and haven't missed them.

Thanks, Karen. From what I could see of the samples I that's what I was thinking, but without being able to check it in first person I wanted to be sure.

Even though we don't use MUS, he loves the blocks, which I could see working quite nicely with Math 3.

I appreciate your advice!

online for Grade 4 to see if it's at your son's level. It was designed especially for homeschoolers. They start at Grade 4. They also have placement tests online. Another good aspect, especially for your situation is that the student can do it independently. It is expensive, but from what I hear it is well worth it. I plan on using it this coming year.

http://www.teachingtextbooks.com

You might want to read the review for TT on Cathy Duffy Reviews:

http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com

She also reviews other math curriculum and supplements. I find her reviews very helpful in making decisions, as she gives many details instead of just a thumbs up or thumbs down.

FWIW, I haven't used BJU, but I hear from my friends who use it that it is an excellent program, but it is teacher intensive. That might affect your decision in your current situation.

Blessings,

Sherri