Menu

Does Anyone Know Chris Tomlin? Desperately Seeking Help

I'm getting near the end of finishing a beautiful spirit-filled documentary about a hard-working Christian family-man from Kentucky who had a massive stroke a year and a half ago.

He had what he thought was "good" insurance. But, while keeping him "alive" the doctors released Devin (our subject) after a few weeks of therapy, to the care of his wife and children because his allowed "therapy coverage" had run out. And he was totally incapacitated.

Devin was really fortunate to have a rock-solid family (his brother is Producing our film) and community, which rallied to him.

Out of other options, his brother found a rehabilitation program in China. To help the family, his church and all the other churches in Central City, put-on a benefit concert to raise money for his care. You want to talk about a good Christian example? This was it!

There is a beautiful sequence in the film of performers from various churches singing praise/worship songs, capped by a performance of "How Great is Our God". To see his family singing along, the community here in support, and Devin weeping in gratitude breaks ones heart. Its a beautiful sequence, and I may be forced to "cut it".

So far our Producer has not been able to get past the "publishing company" that is somehow confusing our small documentary (being made on the slimmest of budgets, but great love) with a big-budget Hollywood movie.

My Producer is trying hard to explain the situation, and I'm hoping against hope they see the light.

I just feel if somehow we could get to Chris Tomlin, so he could see how we are using the performance (by locals) he would help us find a way. Other musicians who have seen the film have been enthusiastic to make their fees something the budget could make work.

So this is a long-shot. But I know this community has roots that run deep. If anyone knows a way, or knows someone who knows someone, and can help us somehow reach Chris Tomplin, I'd consider it a great favor if you could help me.

Its hard for me to imagine a use of this song that was more in the spirit of its meaning than this scene.

I'm reaching out.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I don't know how helpful this is, but my DH made a short video of charity work for a fundraiser. he contacted the artist's label to get permission to use the song. He begged and pleaded adn got the 'rights' to use for only $25. I don't know if there was a limited number of times, or what, but he just went directly to the Label. In this case, the label apparentlly owned the rights to the song.

HTH,

Bill,

I may not know what I am talking about, but after the artist sells his song to a label, I thought it is no longer his property?? Dont you have to get permission from the record label, not the artist?

Kim

I have no idea who Chris Tomlin is, but I'm guessing that Michael Johnathan might know him, or know of him. He owns Woodsong's Old Time Radio Hour, which is produced weekly out of the Kentucky Theater in downtown Lexington. You could call the theater and speak with the manager there to try to get in contact with Johnathan....