Menu

I'm completely freaked out...

when my 8yos stepped outside to get us the morning newspaper, there was a GIANT snake with it's head chopped off and left directly in the middle of and in front of our front porch steps. Just the snake head and about 5 inches long of it with the guts spilling out and getting eaten by insects - but it is very thick about 5 inches around.

Who would do that! One of my children has autism and is irritating to neighbors, but to do this!! I'm thinking someone wanted to scare him when he ran out the door to get on his special needs bus that comes to our house. He had run right over it without noticing thankfully! What would you do? I took a picture of it. :confused:

Edited by LNC

Whoa! Sorry that happened, is it obvious that it was cut and not bitten?

I agree with Pamela. We've had similar incidents happen in the past but just let it go. If it continues or escalates then I would report it. Keep the picture and either write the date on it or have the camera date-stamp it.

jmo, and sorry again :(

Whoa! Sorry that happened, is it obvious that it was cut and not bitten?

I agree with Pamela. We've had similar incidents happen in the past but just let it go. If it continues or escalates then I would report it. Keep the picture and either write the date on it or have the camera date-stamp it.

jmo, and sorry again :(

I guess it could have been bitten. But, it was directly in the middle off our front porch steps. Seems unlikely that a crow or large animal would drop it right there.

I'd take the photo, date-stamped or include the newspaper headline in the shot to confirm the date, and let the police know about this, since it might be a hate crime. You need to start documenting stuff in case there is a mean neighbor targeting your kid.

I wouldn't assume this to be a statement. Snake parts can actually end up really far away from where they were killed. It's amazing--sort of the "chicken with their head cut off" kind of thing. Is it at all possible someone in your close area killed the snake and didn't properly dispose of the parts? (weird, I know, but...?)

I'm with the others who've said that they would take a picture though, and if there are other things that have made you suspect someone might be intentionally doing such a thing, I'd go ahead and take a copy of the picture to the police or sheriff.

I took a picture but my older son's nurse said she thinks it was one of the cats that roam the neighborhood. She said cats kill snakes. She also said they leave "presents" by people's doors like that. I hope so!!!!

We find many gifts from our cats on the welcome mat.... so gross. Jot a note on a calendar & if you took a picture file it. If it never happens again, or next ime it is a mole... you know the culprit.

If other things occur that seem threatening, you may have an issue of harassment. I doubt it is a hate crime or anything dangerous. Just be aware.... but I side with the CAT.

When we moved into our house someone kept leaving headless rabbits on our front porch. Freaked us out.

Turned out it was the former owner's dogs who kept coming back to their old house, presumably so they could kill the neighbor's rabbits.

I'm sure the explanation in your case is equally innocent. Cat, fox, crow...some animal or other.