Menu

Go, Fairfax Homeschooled Kid! Spell, Baby, Spell!

I wonder what curriculum they use? I saw who won by any chance were they homeschooled?

nope. She isn't homeschooled.

They said 3 home schooled kids made the finals tonight - the one kid was the last one standing. And was he cute, or what?? :001_wub: awwwww.... He gets to try out again next year too!

Those kids impress me to no end. WOW. My own kids were watching and they were sort of :blink: and :ohmy:. lol

The curriculum they use is A Lot Of Hard Work and Dedication To The Subject of Spelling. :lol: There's some documentary out there (fairy recently done) that is must-watch. The work these kids put into this - the work their parents put into this!! :svengo:

Here's a little bit about the homeschooled Virginia local who came in 2nd place (from our local TV station)

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Centreville-Boy-Advances-to-Spelling-Bee-Finals.html

Thursday was a stressful day for 12-year-old Tim Ruiter. He started the day as one of 41 semifinalists in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. By 10 p.m. tonight, the competition was down to just three competitors-- and Tim was one of them.

The Centreville, VA native spelled 12 words right in the finals, before one word finally got the better of him. That word: maecenas. (In case you were wondering, maecenas is a generous patron, especially of literature or art.) Tim tied for second place.

Among the words he successfully conquered: "clogwyn," "radiomimetic," "echard," "jacqueminot," and "oriflamme." (By the way, Microsoft Word didn't even know four of these words existed.)

Vicky Ruiter says her son, who is homeschooled, has immersed himself in spelling. She finds stacks of index cards all over the house. "I'm unbelievably proud," she told News4 Thursday night, before the final round. "No matter what happens tonight, I don't think we could possibly be more proud of him."

Tim was taking the pressure in stride; "I don't mind how I do," he said before the final round; "it's just really neat to be here."

Ruiter is a big fan of science fiction, Lord of the Rings, Legos... and words, apparently. He hopes to attend M.I.T. one day, and become a chemical engineer.

The winner, 13-year-old Kavya Shivashankar of Kansas, walked away with more than $40,000 in cash and prizes, and a trophy that's almost as big as she is.

A record 293 participants qualified to participate this year.

nope. She isn't homeschooled.

They said 3 home schooled kids made the finals tonight - the one kid was the last one standing. And was he cute, or what?? :001_wub: awwwww.... He gets to try out again next year too!

Those kids impress me to no end. WOW. My own kids were watching and they were sort of :blink: and :ohmy:. lol

The curriculum they use is A Lot Of Hard Work and Dedication To The Subject of Spelling. :lol: There's some documentary out there (fairy recently done) that is must-watch. The work these kids put into this - the work their parents put into this!! :svengo:

She might not have been homeschooled - but dang, that sure looked like a schoolroom they showed in the clip of her on TV. Lots of "school books" on the cube shelves.

So i vote for - "afterschooled" :D

It was good - DD was sitting here typing the words to see how close she could get. She however says she does NOT love spelling enough to do it all day! LOL!!

She might not have been homeschooled - but dang, that sure looked like a schoolroom they showed in the clip of her on TV. Lots of "school books" on the cube shelves.

:iagree:

I thought the same thing! :D When we watched the clip about her, I saw the cubes of school stuff and said "Oh look! They homeschool!"

My older 2 boys enjoyed watching it (or maybe just staying up so late :glare:), and at the end I asked if that was something they would like to try, and both were quite certain they would not. :lol:

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

:iagree:

I thought the same thing! :D When we watched the clip about her, I saw the cubes of school stuff and said "Oh look! They homeschool!"

Great minds think alike!

My older 2 boys enjoyed watching it (or maybe just staying up so late :glare:), and at the end I asked if that was something they would like to try, and both were quite certain they would not. :lol:

Apparently, the great minds extend to our kids. I know she only watched it to stay up late, and she's not motivated to spend a single second on spelling! :lol:

Yeah, her dad is her spelling coach and this was (iirc) her 4th trip to the finals. I bet a good many of those spelling kids are after-schooled, and before-schooled... lol Smart kids, those. :001_smile: