Menu

Recommend a cheese grater :)

I used to have one that you turned a crank. It worked quite easily but was really hard to clean out.

Now I have the old fashioned board style but grating two cups of cheese takes quite a bit of muscle.

Any recommendations for easy to use and dishwasher friendly?

TIA

I used to have one that you turned a crank. It worked quite easily but was really hard to clean out.

Now I have the old fashioned board style but grating two cups of cheese takes quite a bit of muscle.

Any recommendations for easy to use and dishwasher friendly?

TIA

I tend not to ever put such items in the dishwasher-it always ruins them.

I like the Microplane, fast and easy, even the kids use it. Comes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.

I have found that "crumble" sized cheese works for most things you need grated for. You can "crumble" cheddar by cutting it into 1.5 inch cubes with a sharp cheese knife, toss them in the cuisinart and use the chopping blades that go at the bottom, not the "grating" discs that ride up high. Pile in your cubes and pulse.

If you then pack this stuff well in freezer bags, the crumbled stuff keeps pretty well, and freezes, too. I used to make pizza a LOT for my social exHub who was always bringing people over. I kept crumbled mozz in the freezer all the time.

HTH.

Do you have a KitchenAid mixer?

I love, love, love the shredding attachment. I can grate/shred a big block of cheese so quickly with that thing!

If you hand wash it right away before the cheese has a chance to dry on it, it cleans up very quickly, too.

I like this one from IKEA because it has a built in container with extra plastic lid. Plus, you get two grater sets to a package for under $10! Anyway, 1-2 lbs. of cheese can be shredded up fairly fast, without the mess that a board style grater can leave. We use ours numerous times per week and just throw all the parts into the dishwasher. Easy!

Blessings,

Lucinda