Menu

Is Latin Prep Grammar Translation method?

In " The Latin centered Curriculum" Andrew Campbell suggests the " grammar-translation method for learning grammar. Does anyone know if Latin Prep from Galore Park uses this method?

Any Latin Prep users out there ?

Next year ds will be finishing Song School Latin (or not) and doing Minimus, I am seeing some folks use Minimus as a suppliment, Would Latin Prep be a good spine for a 4th grader and suppliment with Minimus? I am interested in classical pronunciation.

Thanks.

~Christine in AL

Here's a thread in which one of the posts classified Latin programs by method. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101153

Latin Prep uses the English order of cases, so if you prefer the American order, you'll want to put post-its over the paradigms and use American order.

There are definitely Latin Prep users here, so keep trying and you'll snag one!

I don't know what Andrew Campbell thinks of LP, but he posts here and also has his own forum where you could ask.

I think that fourth grade is a little young for Latin Prep. The difficulty ramps up pretty fast. A very keen and linguistically competent 9yo could do it, but I think that waiting for fifth grade is a little safer.

Apart from that, It think it's a wonderful grammar-translation programme (classical pronunciation) for late elementary/middle school pupils.

Best wishes

Laura

I have just received this curriculum for my 11yo dd. We've been using LFC-A, but we're switching to Latin Prep. Based on what I see, I think it would be pretty tough for a 4th grader. My understanding is that it is meant for middle school.

From all the posts I researched before making the switch to LP, another strong translation based curriculum is Great Latin Adventure. Perhaps, Amy from WT will chime in about this. I've seen her post several times that GLA can be used with a 4th or 5th grader for a great foundation before starting LP.

Jennifer

In " The Latin centered Curriculum" Andrew Campbell suggests the " grammar-translation method for learning grammar. Does anyone know if Latin Prep from Galore Park uses this method?

Grammar-translation textbooks traditionally present the grammar by giving rules and forms first, then providing examples or readings where the learner applies these rules. Latin Prep would be considered a grammar-based textbook, as is So You Really Want to Learn Latin, Galore Park's other series. LP does include a number of readings (mostly about history or myth), though some conservative proponents of the grammar translation method would almost completely delay any reading material (beyond short sentences) until students have memorized all the forms.

On the one hand, students do learn the forms. On the other hand, once the forms are all memorized, there is still the task of learning the syntax, and learning only forms can get dry and boring quickly, which is why many grammar-based textbooks do include readings and stories, to keep student interest. Latin Prep is one of the more interesting grammar-based textbooks.

Edited by latinteach

I just wanted to chime in that I'm using LP successfully with my children--3rd, 4th, and 7th graders. I go at pace, moving ahead with my eldest child, and slowing down with the younger two. They all love it. It's rigorous and challenging, but not at all boring. I supplement this with readings from Ecce Romani. This has been a wonderful experience for us, and a welcome change from Prima and LC.

• 1 year later...
Guest rubilynne4
I think that fourth grade is a little young for Latin Prep. The difficulty ramps up pretty fast. A very keen and linguistically competent 9yo could do it, but I think that waiting for fifth grade is a little safer.

Apart from that, It think it's a wonderful grammar-translation programme (classical pronunciation) for late elementary/middle school pupils.

Best wishes

Laura

so, may i ask what you recommend for a 4th grader? would lively latin be appropriate? could i move from LL to latin prep easily?

so, may i ask what you recommend for a 4th grader? would lively latin be appropriate? could i move from LL to latin prep easily?

We do living languages in the early years and follow up with Latin later.

FWIW the school that Hobbes is attending from the autumn does something like:

Age 9-10 Minimus

Age 10-12? Latin Prep

Age 12?-16 Cambridge Latin plus original texts.

So it goes Minimus (fun introduction), Latin Prep (grammar basis) then Cambridge (more reading plus cultural background).

Laura

Latin Prep would be considered a grammar-based textbook, as is So You Really Want to Learn Latin, Galore Park's other series.

So, they are not essentially the same program? Now I'm confused. I want to order Latin Prep for next year, so if these are not the same program, would someone be so kind as to provide a link for me?

So, they are not essentially the same program? Now I'm confused.
They both ab initio programs, Latin Prep is for somewhat younger students.

Here are the links at the Galore Park site for Book 1 in each series:

Latin Prep Book 1

SYRWTLL Book 1

They both ab initio programs, Latin Prep is for somewhat younger students.

Here are the links at the Galore Park site for Book 1 in each series:

Latin Prep Book 1

SYRWTLL Book 1

Thank you - Okay, I do have the right books then. It's just that they both have the So You Really Want to Learn part, but one is "prep" and the other is just "Latin".

Thanks again!