Menu

What have your heating bills been running?

Just curious. It's our first year in this house. The windows aren't that new and are single pane with storms, I think they leak quite a bit, but the house is fairly well insulated (we have a solar panel that runs when it is sunny out that helps some. I think next year I will go ahead and cover the windows in plastic and see if it makes a difference. The furnace is fairly new and pretty efficient, but I think savings could have been better.

This is for a 1980 Square ft. house (I was really expecting the recent bill to be higher, but am glad it wasn't.

Gas

Nov. 67.99

Dec. 123.25

Jan. 196.55

Feb. 196.67

Electric.

Nov. 81.47

Dec. 74.89

Jan. 86.66

Feb. 93.31 (we used an electric heater some in our basement and I think maybe that's why this is a little higher.

Kristine

We have 2500 sf, we turn our heat down at night and our daytime temp never goes above 67-68. However, our basement needs better insulation and we need to keep some of our heat from going upstairs. I don't turn our heat up to 67 until we come down from school because the upstairs gets so hot.

I would think with your solar panel your bills would be less, but you need to take into account what your heat setting is at and how much laundry you do etc.

Hope this gives you somewhat of a comparison. I don't know my exact numbers but I know they were similar.

We have 2500 sf, we turn our heat down at night and our daytime temp never goes above 67-68. However, our basement needs better insulation and we need to keep some of our heat from going upstairs. I don't turn our heat up to 67 until we come down from school because the upstairs gets so hot.

I would think with your solar panel your bills would be less, but you need to take into account what your heat setting is at and how much laundry you do etc.

Hope this gives you somewhat of a comparison. I don't know my exact numbers but I know they were similar.

I should have added that

our solar panel only runs heat into the basement (it was in the house when we moved here, why they did it that way is beyond me.) Also we really haven't had that many Sunny days, it only runs about once a week. It's been pretty cloudy. We have it set for 67 during the day & 62 at night.

Kristine

We spent $4500 dollars last year heating our house. New windows upstairs and new furnace last year.Propone. 3000 sq. ft. I keep the heat at 69 though.

We are thinking about using the old wood boiler and supplementing with wood next winter. Possibly going geo-thermal.

This month's bill for gas and electric (including heat and everything else) is $327.02. That is for 2400 sq. ft., lower level sunk 1/2 way into ground and an upper level (1200 sq. ft each), heat kept at 66 degrees, occasionally an electric heater run in lower level. Definitely our highest bill so far this year. This month the meter was read, last month's estimated bill was $270.49. We are not on the plan where you pay the same monthly bill year round. Every other month is estimated, the other month read. February and March are usually our worst months.

Laura

Our house was built in 1880 and has the original windows...they are huge and there are 30+ of them. The house is 3000 square feet. They estimated last month but read the meter this month. Our thermostats (we have 2 heaters...one for the main floor and one for the upper floor) are set at 60-62 degrees. It has been a record year for snowfall and it has been VERY cold here this year. My current gas bill is $625. For one month.

Feel better about yours?

It's hard to compare...

We just moved from an area where electricity was .018 cents per KWH. (yes, LESS than two cents.) And now we're in an area where it's 13.9 cents per KWH. Comparing those two, we're paying 7 TIMES as much for the same amount of electricity.

We do the best we can to use as little electricity as possible, and then we still feel like grumbling when that much $$ goes out the door. ;)

Guest Virginia Dawn

We have an old oil furnace and have been paying about $800 every 3 months since September just to get half a tank(250 gallons).

Electric runs about $70 a month right now.

We live in a small town house (don't know how many square feet) but our bill is about $275- $350.... It just keeps getting worse. We rent so we can't replace the windows or appliances to help energy :mad: (wish we could buy but right now we are just trying to stay afloat)

We are looking into other ways to save alot of money.... we have limited everything down to the bear minimum and still getting no where so we are working on another plan..... :confused:

HTH

Kate

we have a heat pump so our electric bill for two months was $300.88 this was the highest bill yet

for hot water we have gas the last bill was over $80 usually under 40 a month

Our home is 30 years old 2,000 sq ft. basment entry.We also put in a subfloor in the basement to help with the cold.But still I need a extra heater in our class which is in the basement.

Our bills will be going up our governement has impossed a new carbon tax for any use of fossil fule.

Yet they keep telling us we have some of the lowest energy costs in the world.

The Electric bill is $186. The gas bill is $60. That's year round. The heat is gas, the AC is electric. Obviously it's more expensive to cool a house then to heat it here, and my husband likes a cool house so we are cold all winter but he blasts the AC in the summer and that's probably why the electric is a bit high. Plus, since DH keeps it cold in the winter, I run an electric heater in the bathroom for an hour before I shower at night!

Still, I feel okay looking at what some of you pay:) This house is 3600 square feet and 20 years old.

$500/mo for heating, electricity. It's painfully expensive for a 4000 sqft home A/C bills are much worse :( I get migraines when temps remain under ~65'F, so we keep heat at 67-70, depending on which section of house. DH requires uber-Arctic in the summer months!

I remember the 'good ole days' (1999) when both a gallon of gas and a gallon of milk were $.99. LOL Seems like both go hand-in-hand, at $3.50/gal.

Over the past year our electric bills have ranged from $135 to $250. We live in an all electric, 2250 sqft house. We did a lot of energy upgrades last fall (more insulation in the attic, caulking around the vents, etc.) which has reduced our bill somewhat. Our biggest bills come during the winter months when the thermostat is set on 69. So far, our highest bill as been $222; it was $249 last year.

The only gas we buy is what we need for our cars. I don't want to even start comparing how much our monthly auto gas bill has gone up. I did break down and increase our budget, but it seems like such a waste of money.