Menu

Usborne Book of World History...will this fit my needs (link and needs inside)

kalanamak

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-History-Guided-Discovery-Program/dp/0860209598/ref=ed_oe_h

I have the Kingfisher history book and the internet linked Usborne one, but both seem advanced for our first grade. I'm looking for a book along these lines that is just more basic and covers the ancients and the next era, too (second grade) so I can transition to the more "busy" and complex pages of Kingfisher, etc. I haven't seen the above Usborne book, and amazon doesn't let me "look inside" but the cover art makes me hopeful it is a more elementary level than the Usborne Internet linked history encyclopedia.

I have all the supplemental history books from WTM for 1st and 2nd grade history, but I'd like to introduce the method of reviewing a two page spread, writing out kiddo's summary of it, etc.

Anyone have this who can give me a review of its level? AFAIR, the second edition of the WTM goes with the Internet-linked one for even first grade, but I'm hoping the above linked one is simpler. If it isn't, anyone have a lead on one that is? The DP one is out of print....I've looked.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-History-Guided-Discovery-Program/dp/0860209598/ref=ed_oe_h

I have the Kingfisher history book and the internet linked Usborne one, but both seem advanced for our first grade. I'm looking for a book along these lines that is just more basic and covers the ancients and the next era, too (second grade) so I can transition to the more "busy" and complex pages of Kingfisher, etc. I haven't seen the above Usborne book, and amazon doesn't let me "look inside" but the cover art makes me hopeful it is a more elementary level than the Usborne Internet linked history encyclopedia.

I have all the supplemental history books from WTM for 1st and 2nd grade history, but I'd like to introduce the method of reviewing a two page spread, writing out kiddo's summary of it, etc.

Anyone have this who can give me a review of its level? AFAIR, the second edition of the WTM goes with the Internet-linked one for even first grade, but I'm hoping the above linked one is simpler. If it isn't, anyone have a lead on one that is? The DP one is out of print....I've looked.

Thanks

Hmm. It's a little on the old side and I don't think it's simpler exactly, but browsable because there are so many pictures and "asides" as is common with older Usborne books. (A good thing, IMO.)

The perfect books would be the Look Inside books -- Look Inside Ancient Egypt, Look Inside Ancient Rome.

that you might want to check out. I'll see if I can link it. It's not as extensive as the IL Encycl. but a good intro for younger children.

http://www.ubah.com/ecommerce/details.asp?sid=V1747&gid=40253680&title=First+Encyclopedia+of+History+IL&sqlwhere=submit%3Dsearch%26search%3Dfirst%2Bhistory

This is my upline consultant's site...don't feel obligated to purchase it here if you like it! There is a link on the page to a sample spread in the book. HTH