Menu

What Books are in your Google Library?

Myrtle

For those not in the know, Harvard is taking all of the books in their library that have expired copyrights and putting them online. You go to the google page, then click on "More" to select books. Use the "full view" search feature and you'll start seeing results.

I've got some technical stuff that might not be interesting to anyone but me, but I also have,

1. Lewis Carol's Curiousa Matematica

2. A Beacon Introductory Second Reader: Animal Folk Tales By James Hiram Fassett which happens to be right at the reading level of my daughter and when she reads it she thinks she's doing something special online.

3. Florian Cajoris arithmetic for primary students up to 3/4th grade.and his grammar school book which goes up to pre-algebra. Cajori is in wiki and wrote a enough math texts to go from first grade to college level work. I'm not actually doing these with my kids; I just keep looking at them and thinking along the lines of possible supplement for extra problems and word problems.

I've seen several people have been recommending google books from time to time and I'm nosey. What's in your library?

Wow! I didn't know anything about this. How can I search for children's books? Have you printed any out or do you both just read online?

I've been reading mine online, but it's quite comfortable doing so on a laptap. My daughter reads online too. The science reader that Jessica pointed out to me I downloaded as a PDF file. There is an option in the right column that allows this and I'm thinking about perhaps printing out select pages to use during school.

Wow!! What a wonderful site. I downloaded....

• the Famous Men of .... series from John H. Haaren.
  • "A Teacher's Manual" a book on natural reading - Haaren
  • "Ballads & Tales Fourth grade Reader" - Haaren
  • New American Practical Navigator - Bowditch
  • Elementary Lessons in Physics (rec from other poster, THANKS!)

and a few others, I'm still hunting through it.

Here's my library http://books.google.com/books?as_list=BDUeHDgYQx466sIDW5b_OARoURytsU2_VmRBMS-JbSle9prjGtjE

Wow!! What a wonderful site. I downloaded....

• the Famous Men of .... series from John H. Haaren.

• "A Teacher's Manual" a book on natural reading - Haaren

• "Ballads & Tales Fourth grade Reader" - Haaren

• New American Practical Navigator - Bowditch

• Elementary Lessons in Physics (rec from other poster, THANKS!)

and a few others, I'm still hunting through it.

Here's my library http://books.google.com/books?as_list=BDUeHDgYQx466sIDW5b_OARoURytsU2_VmRBMS-JbSle9prjGtjE

I had to take a look at Bowditch and it's far more technical that anything I'm ready for right now! Do you sail?

No, we just finished reading "Carry on, Mr. Bowditch" and I found Mr. Bowditch quite fascinating. His discipline to self-education was very inspiring to me and my son. My ds10 requested to learn French after we read the book, and he is ready to start Latin next year. I also downloaded Principia in Latin, but we're not ready to delve into that as of yet.

I'm a generalist, Jessica. I want biographies of people from Canadian History written for children.

I want Canadian History written for children. (I did find some stuff written in the 1800's but it is fairly perjorative regarding the Native people and that's not good.)

I want original source documents (unfortunately what exists (in full view mode) seems to be in French! Not surprisingly).

I'd like, oh, I don't know. I like to browse. See what's there. Go on a treasure hunt. Unfortunately, it feels more like searching for a needle in a, well, you know.

And that's just what I want today. Tomorrow may be different!

PS. Thanks for asking! :)

I have no idea how to search specifically for children. Hmmm.

I came across general histories such as "Stories of the Maple Land"

And McIlWraith's Canada.

I do understand the "pejorative issue," there are very few 19th c history books for children that I've read that I haven't seen one thing or another that I wish they would have phrased a bit differently.

Thanks. This is really neat. I've searched for books there to look at and now I can put them in my own library.

I found a Latin dictionary and a grammar that goes through all the parts of speech that may be worth looking at.:)

http://books.google.com/books?id=QXcKAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover#PPP1,M1 This is an Elementary Latin Dictionary.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NrYAAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#PPP1,M1 This is an Elementary Latin Grammar.