Menu

Is the play (musical?) "Wicked" ok for kids?

Also-- the book was raunchy. The musical was clean.

:iagree::iagree: No way I'd want the kidlets to read the book, not even the 13 yr old. However, for xmas as a family dh & I took the kids to LA to watch it. Kids were 18, 12, 10 & 5. The 5 yr old already knew all the words to the songs so she sang along.

Yes, my kids *love* it! While the book is *not* for kids, I think the musical is *very* kid-friendly.

The one issue is, er, Elphaba's parentage. Her mother has an affair, and later Elphaba learns that someone else is her bio father. This comes up at the beginning in one song where the husband leaves for the evening, and another man waltzes into the wife's arms and gives her something green to drink. Takes about five seconds. Then, later in the play, Elphaba sees a green bottle like the one her mother had and figures out who her real father is. It's *very* subtle, and while it's an issue that could have been a problem for me, I was fine with how it was handled.

Otherwise, there could be some scary moments for especially sensitive younger children -- there are a lot of lighting and staging effects, obviously there's the Wicked Witch of the West, there's some heartbreak, tough choices, betrayal... But the songs and the dancing are great fun, the friendship between the two main characters is great (it's tested but makes them both stronger), there is loyalty and strength despite temptation...

And my kids love the music. It's also fairly long -- I wouldn't take younger children who weren't used to going to live theater.

I just took my 5 yo and 8 yo dds to a production of this at our community center. A couple of kids in our HS group were part of it--they did Wizard of Oz/Wicked--one right after the other. I have never seen Wicked before and really had no idea what it was about. The girls did not really get the 'affair'--and I told them the green drink was poison (as opposed to explaining alcohol and infidelity :glare:), and therefore the baby was born green. It was a great show and the young people that put it on did a FABULOUS job. It was not risque (Wicked was put on by teenagers and Oz by younger kids), but perhaps there is an adult version as well? I really liked Wicked, but the girls really liked Oz. Since then, my DDs have been watching the WofOz almost every day and we've done a little study on tornadoes too. :D Again, I'm not sure how much of Wicked they really 'got', but the version we saw was not inappropriate.