Menu

A Recommendation for on-line English Classes: Laurel Tree Tutorials

In case anyone is interested, I would like to offer up a recommendation for Rebekah Wilhelm's writing class.

We have had a few on-line class experiences - from the good to the bad. My older son took Rebekah's composition course (High School Composition) two years ago. It was a terrific experience.

She is extremely profession. Very organized. Prompt and efficient. She wrote many comments and suggestions on every single paper that my son turned in. She is a very, very good teacher and deserves to have waiting lists for her classes.

Apparently I am pretty difficult to please, because we have not had a flood of positive experiences with on-line courses. But I can give her class a VERY positive thumbs-up without reservation. She is a responsible young woman who models good habits. She runs a pleasant and encouraging class. (If she had offered the junior-high class this year, I would have signed my dd up in a heart-beat!)

A top-notch experience. We will not be using Rebekah's writing class this year because I would like my 7th and 9th graders to take a class that includes literature and composition instruction. And I want them to have that weekly on-line class time. However, I plan to keep in touch with her. I would not hesitate to sign my children up for her classes in the future. Money well, well spent.

http://lt-tutorials.schools.officelive.com/default.aspx

Just a momma's opinion. :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thank you Janice for the wonderful review. I have been going back and forth to Rebeka's site looking at the Introduction to Literature class for my rising

8th grader almost 13 son.

I will definitely check out the composition class when ds hits 9th grade.

Your contributions to this board is one of my must-read.

Lyn

• 2 months later...

I'm just seeing this, so thought I would let you know that I appreciate you sharing this! I have looked at this and am thinking about whether I can afford to do something like this! If I do, it will be because of your recommendation! Thanks!

I would like to second Janice's recommendation. My dd took Rebekah's compostion class as a 10th grader and it was excellent. She gave very good and timely feedback (even when at that time she was still a college student). Even though my dd is a fairly strong writer, she was still challenged and learned a lot, but was still encouraged. She seemed to meet the students at their skill level. I wished she would have had another class that my dd could take.

Ds13 is enrolled this fall in Rebekah's Intro. to Literature. I asked her if it's too much to enroll ds13 in both Intro. to Lit and Intro. to Composition and this is her reply:

Hi Lyn,

I wouldn't recommend doing two at once; one will keep Matthew busy, and the literature class does include some writing. I'm glad to have him join the class. It is one of my favorite things to teach, and I look forward to having him as a student. :)

-Rebekah

Intro. to Literature it is, then. In the meantime, I'm going through IEW SWI C with ds13 this summer. There are 6 novels for the whole year and she is going to include short stories in the mix.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Another pleased customer -

I had my graduating senior do a private 6 week "class" with Rebekah to ensure that his research paper techniques and writing abilities are where they need to be for college this coming fall. We were pleased with the teacher, material, and the end product - an interesting research paper.

Since we were so pleased with math guy's experience, we signed up younger ds, literature guy, for 2 one semester literature courses next school year. It will be his first "outside the home" class (at home)! haha

Happy Customer -

Susie

Edited by Susie-Knits
clarity

We have been using quite a lot on-line writing courses. Unfortunately, this one is very disappointed.

Matt Turnbull is a homeschooling dad that teaches essay-writing, based on the Andrew Pudewa's method. Even though Matt's classes are titled, "Writing the Essay" the reading list for the introductory class is wonderful.

http://www.alexandriatutorials.com/writing-the-essay-texts/

When my son finished the "Writing the Essay" class last year, he asked to be registered for the "Advanced Essay" class, knowing full well that he would have an 8-15 page paper to write. He survived this year and had another wonderful year of reading amazing books: http://www.alexandriatutorials.com/advanced-essay-writing-texts/ ,interacting online with other homeschoolers and writing weekly papers.

I want to mix it up next year; so ds15, is registered for Oxford Tutorials, and Dr. Lund's GB I class. I hope you find what works for you and your student...there are so many choices; I'm sure you'll find the right fit!

We have tried several online courses and local teachers, but my one complaint is that writing is never actually taught. Mostly it is many assignments with vague instruction. The teacher then merely acts as an editor, the child incorporates the teacher's edits, and then the paper is done.

The prevalent unspoken philosophy seems to be that you must write a lot and then by some magic (enough teacher edits? eventual osmosis?) the child one day learns to write well.

It seems that one should be able to teach writing in a more systematic way so that the child can turn out well-written papers (for their age-level, of course) based on an understanding of exactly what is required rather than the hit-or-miss dartboard approach.

I am interested in understanding what is different about this class.

Edited by PrincipledPilgrim
typo

Happy customer here.

Ds (16, reluctant writer but academically very strong -- future engineer) found the writing instructions for each assignment clear and her feedback was very helpful. My son also enjoyed both reading and giving feedback on other kids' essays.

Dd (14, eager strong student) took the Intro to Lit class. She found it very challenging, but again she found the instructions very helpful and she really was able to rise to the occasion. The final exam consisted of two essays, and I was pleasantly surprised at both her writing and her level of understanding of the books.

Intro to Lit is primarily a lit class, but the students do plenty of essays. My daughter's favorite part of the class was the live discussions. Each semester attendance at 8 were required, but my daughter attended every one she could.

Both my kids will continue their English studies with Laurel Tree Tutorials next year.

I've read only positive reviews about Laurel Tree up until AKA's post, so I find it a bit suspect that it is the only post she/he has posted on these boards. A competitor perhaps?

We're signed up for the Intro to Composition class for the fall, and have experienced professional, quick, and friendly communication with Rebekah thus far!