Menu

Just for Fun

Storm Bay

To quote my dad when he made a mistake, "How can someone so smart do something so stupid?" So, for those of you with accellerated and/or gifted kids (or who are yourself), what are some of the really funny, but to most people, really dumb, things they (or you) have done? I'm too sick to think of my funniest ones in our house, but I'm sure someone will say something that reminds me of one...

My very bright, almost 8yo racked himself very badly on his bike yesterday. That in and of itself isn't bad, right? Wanna know why? Huh? He was trying to smash a spider on the ground going full speed and stopping suddenly on top of the spider! It was all I could do not to laugh. I didn't bring up the fact that a shoe would have done the trick quite easily.

Feel better, Karin.

Oh, gosh, this is funny!!! Do you know so often when I was doing things my way as a child, my dad would stop and ask why I wasn't doing it such and such way. Then he'd say, "I guess it's too easy." I didn't like it at the time (but my dad's a surgeon, so sensitivity has never been one of his longsuits) but in retrospect I probably did many things in pretty funny ways.

As a preschooler, my oldest ds took a can of paint from the garage and painted the neighbors' door. He said it needed to be painted, so it made sense to him anyway.

I can't tell you how many times I have watched my 14yo roll out of trees, fly from roofs, and fall from places that should have required medical attention. And yet because he has never broken a bone or required stitches he simply refers to himself as a mountain goat and keeps climbing.

My older boys always beat my little guy. That is until they found a game he could win every time. The middle one says I bet I can even beat you to yourself. At which point the little one hits himself in the head and says, "I beat you to me." This mean variation of stop-hitting-yourself was a favorite of my teenagers for quite some time.

Mandy

Well, I don't normally post on this board and I don't know that I would call my dc gifted, but I had to share this when I saw this thread when looking at new posts.

We were talking about writing programs and I mentioned IEW. My dd says, "How do you spell IEW?".

We all busted up laughing and joked about things along the same line for a while. :)

When dd was about 5 she helped her little brother (then a toddler) climb to the top of her loft bed to play. When it was time to get him down she did not feel comfortable him down the ladder, so she chose the "safer" option of throwing a pillow on the floor and attempting to gently lower ds1. She ended up dropping him, he rolled off the pillow, and hit the floor. He wasn't hurt at all but was very unimpressed with the whole experience.

My DS, 10yo, was all surprised the other day when I told him that drawers are meant to be closed after you take whatever you need from them...

The look on his face was priceless... He had never genuinely noticed that his drawers are always closed (courtesy of mom) and that it looked better that way.

In fact, when I explained that it looked better, his face was like 'ok, and you think this is a valid reason???" so I had to explain about keeping dust away from clothes. Oooooh... never thought about that one! :rolleyes:

I'd first like to say that my children have never done anything stupid in their lives. But there have been times when I've had to say, "What were you thinking?"

When my 7yo decided to make an experiment with a whole tube of toothpaste the one time I decided to buy the expensive brand, I had to ask, "What were you thinking son?" And he said, "All good scientists get their start by making childhood messes."

When my 6yo jumped from the top landing of our staircase, and I asked him, "What were you thinking?" He said, "I wanted to see if gravity applied to me as well as Newton's apple."

When my 3yo climbed into the top cupboard and shut the door, I had to ask him, "What were you thinking?" And he said, "But mommy, it's cozy in this dark space."