Menu

Is it worth it??

I don't usually post on this board, but I really need a list of pro's and con's right now.

My dh is in the building industry. Not a builder, but his job is heavily affected by the housing slump. We moved to our current location almost 2 years ago, amid great promises of a wonderful career move and prosperity in the future. Things have not panned out, and while dh could possibly make a job move to a different company/industry, that is not his plan.

Anyway, when we moved here, I finally made the decision to do what I had always wanted to do, and brought my kids home and started homeschooling them. This was only a little over a year ago. My children are thriving at home, and all of them, when asked if they want to continue, say that they absolutely do. We've overcome huge problems that we had with the ps system. My oldest is being challenged for the first time in her life. My 2nd dd has moved up 3.5 grade levels in reading in the past year or so. My 3rd dd understands math for the first time ever (thank you MUS!). And, I taught my 2 youngest to read this fall! The list goes on.

We love homeschooling.

My huge problem right now is the fact that, when we started, we still were banking on a bright financial future. Piano lessons, football, theater lessons, art lessons, swimming, etc, etc, etc. Reality is that, last year, this year, and for who knows how long, we can't afford any of it. We are absolutely stuck. Because we live in a smaller town, where there are very few homeschoolers, there are no co-ops. There are very few free or inexpensive activities at all. The schools here, however, are wealthy, well-equipped and over-flowing with children. People here don't homeschool, because the school system is so "great." Lots of money, very little concern, imho.

That doesn't change the fact that my dd who wants to play the piano doesn't have access to lessons. My little artist doesn't have access to supplies and lessons. My singer doesn't have a choir. I pay my taxes, and it all goes to other people's kids right now. Mine get none of it.

My question...Do I send them off to public school in the fall, to try to survive the system that we already proved is not adequate? They would have access to everything that they lack here at home. Sports, arts, music, etc. However, they would leave behind everything that has brought them great success in the past year. I could go to work. I have a degree, and jobs here are plentiful.

It has been a great, great year. How can I send them back? But, for their own good, do I need to send them back? Are they going to miss out on too much if they are here, because of our financial issues?

I guess I need to add that we don't go without anything else. It is just the extras. We have a beautiful home, nice vehicles, and too many bills, and my children are well cared for and have all that they really, really need...including school items. We are only talking the "extras" here.

Please help me sort this out. Oh...and for those believers out there...yes, I prayed about the decision to bring them home, and home is where they are suppose to be...at least for this year.

Any and all input would be wonderful.

I think the strides you have made with your children more than makes up for the lack of extras. That said, I think you can get creative with the extras you have mentioned. If you have a keyboard (if not try craigslist or freecycle) then you can order the basic books and she can learn herself. Or what I have done when funds were beyond tight I bartered. I would babysit for the teacher in return for lessons. In Georgia a friend of mines high school daughter gave 30 minute lessons for five dollars. If you have a good library you can nurture your daughter teaching her about the masters and also checking out books on various technique books. As for the singer if you go to church perhaps there is a children's choir. I have also found good piano and even art teachers that way.

Honestly it sounds like you have done so much good for your children. Good luck with your choices.

It sounds like you have really thought this through and you have explained your situation very well. Given that this year has been so successful academically, and spiritually maybe?, I would not be too quick to send them back to school, especially if they want to continue to be at home. Maybe God will provide some creative ways of meeting the need for "extras". You didn't mention how old your kids are but if they are old enough for volunteer opportunities at places where those kind of lessons (i.e. art, music, etc.) are given maybe you could have them work for tuition or a discount. We know a family who does that for karate lessons. They clean the studio after class (mom helps too). I tutor Somalis in English and I have a dd9 who is interested in languages so I take her along. Maybe there is another mom who wants to trade skills with you, like one who teaches piano in return for you watching her kids weekly. I have a friend who gives lessons instead of paying for childcare. Think of the things your family can bring to the table as an offering in return for the things you are looking for.

There is also something to be said for a season of "going without" to grow thankfulness in all of us. By ensuring that our kids never know "want" we may be keeping them from a really valuable time of growth in the things of the Lord. Just some thoughts.:)

I'm sorry, that stinks. FWIW, we don't have any "extras" right now either, we just don't have the money. The kiddos seem fine, and while it would be "nice" to be able to have those extras, it just isn't "mandatory", IMO, for a "successful" education. Do what you Can do at home, do you have a piano or keyboard? You can provide *some* materials for the artisit- think simple and cheap. They don't need premium grade supplies (though that would be nice), just pencils, paper, color pencils, markers, paper, paper, did I mention paper? ;) My oldest did take a few art lessons one summer when we had a little extra money (dh was deployed and his pay checks were higher during deployment) and that was helpful, but you could get a book on teaching children art (I can't remember the name of it, I think it's Monart or something) that will help. Also don't forget about paper mache, home-made playdough, fingerpaints, collages, dioramas, etc. your singer doesn't "need" a choir to sing, just provide access to music- sing lots of childrens songs, get childrens songs on cd from the library, there are some free mp3's on itunes (which is also free and usable whether you have an ipod or not), hymn books (if you are so inclined). Hugs, HTH, and I just want you to know you are not alone in not being able to afford all those extra things. For us, the trade off is just NOT worth it, to enroll them in PS. They are so much better off at home (we've tried PS for the 2 school aged children, it was NOT working for us).

Re evaluate what is important to you. Extras? Think of the simplicity of life. Read frugal/simplicity books. Our kids don't need to have it all. Tightening the family budget belt is good for everyone. Including the kids. To quote Grandpa from the Simpsons "We did it all the time in the 30's!" And those other generations lived through it. There will be a point in your life when those extras can enter your life again. THere are some familys who choose not to have extras whether they can afford it or not. Re evaluate the idea of what extras mean for you and your family.

We've been homeschooling for seven years and have never had the money for piano lessons (and in fact I'll probably sell the piano this year), and have had to really limit even our field trips because of gas prices and entrance fees. My children went to a farm several hours away for an educational program in the fall, and I've saved and we're going with a homeschool group to the circus in April. That's it for field trips in 2007-2008.

We do belong to a co-op and do one sport, but that's it on our budget. My head just spins at all that some families do, but our only debt is our mortgage despite a lot of financial setbacks over the last few years. We have a very loving, close family, and our children are doing very well academically. They above their peers in both public and private schools available locally, and are frankly more confident and articulate than they children they play with who go to a classroom.

Sometimes the intangibles win!

You mentioned that jobs are plentiful. Could you find a part-time job that would cover the piano lessons, etc.? Of course, it would depend on whether your children are old enough to stay home by themselves for several hours at a time. Could you get a paper route? It sounds as if you need some extra money for the extras, but not necessarily a full-time salary. Or perhaps you could do one of the work-from-home ideas that have been mentioned here, such as the telephone-based order taking type of work with flexible hours you set?

HSing Pros: Your kids are growing at home. Even if they have to do without their special lessons for a while, your artist can learn about Renoir, Monet etc. Many libraries have art books especially if you can access the ILL system. The others can express themselves also at home in their special areas and will continue to explore their life passions.

PS only offers an education based on averages. Your singer will be average, your artists average, et cetera. At home they will flourish and be successful even without lessons etc.

Yes financially it seems tempting but God is good and will provide for you. You will be amazed at how He will provide if you trust in Him. If money is your only reason for putting them in PS then I say DON'T DO IT!

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

Adrianne

I think there are so many good suggestions here. We too are in a pinch, and have been the whole time that we have HSed. Something that has really helped is the YMCA. I babysit a few days a week while parents exercise, and in exchange we get free membership (I also bring my kids to work, so I don't need to pay for babysitting). I do sign the kids up for some extras for which I have to pay, but that is paid for out of my (meager!) paycheck. Our Y also offers scholarships. You would have to fill out some paperwork revealing your income, but memberships often go for as little as $10.00/month.

I have also found that being out in the world at large (as opposed to the isolation that HSing can sometimes bring), introduces our family to many more people and opportunities. You might run into an artist or musician that could help you out.

HTH