Menu

Low Carb Baking

OnMyOwn

I just made the low carb pumpkin bread that someone posted here a few days ago, and I must be doing something wrong, because it was inedible. I think it must be my sweetener — granulated Sweet Choice — which is supposed to have the same ingredients as Splenda. This is the second time I’ve tried a recipe that others say they liked and I’ve had to throw it away. Both times, there was no sweetness in my baked goods. They just tasted bitter and nasty.

Anyway, will the brand name granulated Splenda give me better results? I cannot imagine anyone would be happy with the results I got with the generic brand, so I’m thinking there is a way to get better results.

I do a lot of low-carbbaking, but I don’t use Splenda at all (I don’t like the ingredients). Swerve bakes well. I also use a Xylitol/Erythritol combination that bakes well too.

Even if you’re not following the Trim Healthy mama diet, they have wonderful sweeteners that I love (my favorite is called Gentle Sweet).

https://store.trimhealthymama.com/product-category/all-products/sweeteners/

ETA if you decide to try swerve, head over to https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com and check out her recipes Caroline creates fabulous low carb desserts using swerve.

Edited by Just Kate
  • Like 2

I think actually this is very individual.  I've experimented with several alternative sweeteners.  Some that others swear by I can't stand or they taste like nothing to me.  Others I like (but others hate).  I use liquid sucrolose and like the sweetness just fine.  I hate Stevia.  I've tried a few of the blends and they were "ok".

The point is, you might have to try various ones to find the one you like best.  Sometimes combining more than one is good too.

• Like 1

I have heard that many artificial sweeteners loose sweetness when cooked. I don't know if that is true.

You might try one of those baking blends that is part sweetener and part sugar if you can.

I had read that as well, but since the recipe called for granulated Splenda, it seems like what I used should have been okay.  Especially since others said they really enjoyed the recipe.  But, maybe it's a problem with the generic.

I do a lot of low-carbbaking, but I don’t use Splenda at all (I don’t like the ingredients). Swerve bakes well. I also use a Xylitol/Erythritol combination that bakes well too.

Even if you’re not following the Trim Healthy mama diet, they have wonderful sweeteners that I love (my favorite is called Gentle Sweet).

https://store.trimhealthymama.com/product-category/all-products/sweeteners/

ETA if you decide to try swerve, head over to https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com and check out her recipes Caroline creates fabulous low carb desserts using swerve.

I have some Swerve up in my cabinet.  I have high hopes for it!  I was just trying to use up this big bag of granulated Splenda I bought before trying it.  I also have the THM book.  I will check them out for their sweetener ideas.  I've already been looking at the blog you linked and it all looks very good!

I think actually this is very individual.  I've experimented with several alternative sweeteners.  Some that others swear by I can't stand or they taste like nothing to me.  Others I like (but others hate).  I use liquid sucrolose and like the sweetness just fine.  I hate Stevia.  I've tried a few of the blends and they were "ok".

The point is, you might have to try various ones to find the one you like best.  Sometimes combining more than one is good too.

I hope not!  This is what I have read online as well, but what I made last night wasn't edible to me or my husband (who will usually eat almost anything).  I'm going to give the Swerve a try and see what happens.  I don't really care for Stevia, either.  It bothers me the same way msg bothers me.

Thanks all!

• Like 1