What's with the ads?

#1 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6729 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

Sharing for the humor of it. We have five kids. Between them, they are studying Latin, French, Spanish, and German. Eldest has studied three of the four & is currently studying the last two. The boys haven't started foreign languages yet.

Youngest ds was writing English phonograms in a 10-question quiz today. After I dictated the first, he suddenly started erasing what he wrote & said,

Wait a minute! I did the first one in English.

He meant that he printed it instead of writing it in cursive. (He knows I require him to write in cursive in spelling class.) I chuckled & teased him by asking him what language he was supposed to be writing the phonograms in.  :laugh:

• Another Lynn, Catheryn, mama25angels and 7 others like this

#2 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

My oldest like languages as a hobby but not as academics. He learns German and Chinese, and picks up some random French (greetings) and Spanish (counting). So his conversation can be a mish mash of five languages in a very long sentence. I’m used to a mish mash of more than three languages growing up so I sometimes answer my kids and parents in a mish mash of languages too.
  • mama25angels and RootAnn like this

#3 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Funny!

Arcadia, I like that mish mash speech. For is (me) it is a nice way to compensate for gaps in particular languages.

I chuckled to listen to my dd try to tell someone in English a Spanish wordplay joke. It was a bit painful and unsatisfactory, but funny for me.

#4 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6729 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

. . . And I don't know if it happens to anyone else, but whenever I get done teaching dd#2's French lesson, I always feel weird teaching the next subject in English.

DD#1 has both German & Spanish on Thursdays. So far, she's only once started answering in Spanish accidentally during German class. (I think all of the kids in her German class are taking at least one other foreign language, so they understand the mistake.) 

#5 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14152 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

DD apparently missed some points on her first college Spanish test because she answered in Latin :). I have frequently answered in French when someone talks to me in Spanish, even though I have an easier time constructing a sentence in Spanish than French.
  • RootAnn likes this

#6 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16346 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

. . . And I don't know if it happens to anyone else, but whenever I get done teaching dd#2's French lesson, I always feel weird teaching the next subject in English.

My kids languages classes are all outsourced so I am only helping in homework. It isn’t as hard to help one kid with his Chinese homework and then turnaround to help the other kid with his German homework. My issue was more of having ask whether DS12 is taking about math or physics when he ask me a question.

When my kids want to have an argument/debate in the car on a long ride, they switch to German. Somehow it sounds fiercer than English to them. When they want to scold someone, they like to use Chinese.
  • RootAnn likes this

#7 bensonduck

bensonduck

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

My DD thinks it is the peak of hilarity to write answers in Greek when doing her Latin page. Sometimes the answer in Greek and sometimes the Latin word she needs but in the Greek alphabet. :rolleyes:
  • Rebel Yell and misty.warden like this