Menu

Wayfarers, beautiful feet or Diy

Ausmumof3

I think this is going to be a bit long sorry!

I am trying to put together a rough plan for next year (starts feb). I have quite a lot of options thanks to build your bundle sale and hand me downs. In fact too many options.

I have wayfarers medieval. I had planned to use this but for some reason I thought it was just history around story of the world. I didn't realise it was a total programme for everything.

In some ways it would be a good option. I'm not great with details and it's all put together but still flexible. I have some of the science, most of the history and it's kind of customisable anyway.

In other ways I'm having some doubts. It reminds me a bit of Sonlight. I really like the sonlight books but I hate the short readings and switching books a million times a day. I really like to focus on one thing for a bit longer. I know that's not Charlotte Mason style, but I find constant transition difficult. we lose things and the kids are slow to get their stuff out. Wayfarers has geography and art etc scheduled multiple times a week.

Also I have a lot of hand me down sonlight books that I'd like to cover. But that on top of what's already in Wayfarers seems like overload.

Also the science won't line up with the well trained mind four year cycle we had been covering. I'm not totally sold on the four year thing for science anyway but we would be skipping the animal/life science year which Dd loves and I have a whole lot of good resources for. Plus the Quark astronomy isn't actually out yet.

Option 2 is the beautiful feet books medieval. One downside with this is I really want to use story of the world and it doesn't. It looks a bit challenging for dd8. I could set us up with story of the world and just use this for DS to extend it for him as he's getting old for the story of the world thing. I really really like the look of it and I like their literature choices for geography so I guess I will for history.

Plan c would be a continuation of the DIY approach of this year. That means doing maths and language arts segments with curriculum then one other core subject per day using mostly well trained mind recommendations. We also have foreign language and critical thinking daily plus a simple morning basket.

The upside of this is it works. We've done it this year and I know it works ok. It's reasonably streamlined. The downside is we haven't done a tonne of literature, we got a bit bored of a whole year of RSO chemistry and it may not be pushing DS11 enough unless I figure out how to increase the level a bit for him. Also I have new shiny curriculum I won't end up using. 😄

I vote DIY. :)

Pull the parts you like best and build around it.  That's what we do and yeah, it's a little more work than having a plan right there in front of me, but I feel like it's more flexible and doesn't require me to spend a whole lot/work with something that wasn't written for my kid.

It sounds like you know you and your homeschool well so gear it toward your strengths. Use SOTW and the activity guide. Throw in the additional books as you need or want more info on a topic. It works beautifully that way. The "You Wouldn't Want To Be" books have many topics that fit in nicely with SOTW as well. Keep it to what you know about yourself and it will get done plus kids will have fun. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use Wayfarers, and what I do is lump things together as it works for our family (we have a charter we go to twice a week in the afternoons). I do follow the weekly schedule for math, english, devotion (though I often substitute my own), narration, and the literature that goes along with ELTL. But I do History once a week (so the entire SOTW section for that week, or often I just do one chapter per week, as well as the History read aloud and narration). I do Science once a week, including any activity and read alouds. I do Music whenever I feel like it. And I do Art once a week on Friday afternoon, and I have substituted and different program. For the Literature selection I only very roughly follow the schedule. We tend to read those novels whenever we feel like it, which is often, so we often finish before it is scheduled to be finished, but that is okay as there is plenty more to read. Geography happens usually three times a week, and I always get those read alouds on audio so we can listen to them in the car. I have found Wayfarers to be very flexible when I decided I was not going to check boxes in the planner. I have the planner on my iPad and add things to my paper schedule, but at least I don't have to plan everything by myself, and I just don't have time right now (though I bet it would be fun!).