Menu

I am torn -- Grammar for the WTM or Analytical Grammar???

mlktwins

Just looking for opinions about both or just one of these.  My boys have done FLL 1-4.  I purchased Analytical Grammar last year, but decided to take a break for a year.  I'm gearing up for this year and am wondering which I should use?  The AGr books are brand new with no writing in them so I can try and sell them.  Do you think the new Grammar for the WTM is worth sellling AG and starting new?  For the record, I am a big fan of the WTM and have used SOTW, WWE, FLL, and starting WWS this year.  This time last year, I thought AG was my best option-- LOL.  This would have been a no brainer if I hadn't decided to take a break  :closedeyes: .  Maybe a change from FLL is good?

• Like 1

I definitely suggest looking at the sample. I had this debate with myself last week. We did season 1 of AG last year and I considered WTM's new grammar but it was too much like the later books of FLL-- too much teacher directed for me. I decided to stick with AG where my dd can watch the dvd and remain mostly independent for now.

I tried doing Jr Analytical Grammar with my kids and we hated it. There was not enough instruction for us, and they need a spiral program. Analytical Grammar is pretty similar. I agree about looking at samples.

For us, the new Grammar for the WTM is perfect. It's what my kids need, and it gives me the help I need.  The only negative is that it wasn't available last year so my current 6th grader might still be doing this in 9th grade.  I was planning to do a three year program with AG starting this year.

We were a week into AG season 2 when the sample came out. I'm not a big fan of curriculum jumping, I wasn't excited to switch into a program with no reviews (although I feel confident it will be good!), and I haven't heard any mention of the publishing schedule for the future books. I decided to stick with AG this year, maybe do season 3 also, and then next year have my then 8th graders do a year of GFTWTM. I'm not interested in having them do a formal grammar program in high school.

The year after that my younger will start GFTWTM and presumably do the whole series.

If we had not already started AG, I would switch.

Another comment based on our experience with JAG is that it does not cover mechanics like capitalization or punctuation.  Grammar for the Well Trained Mind does.  My kids need the mechanics still. Over the summer we did some free Glencoe review stuff for capitalization and punctuation.  I was really struggling with the idea of having to work this in with AG.  

ETA: JAG does have a second Mechanics book which I did not purchase. I should have clarified that there are two separate programs for JAG of which one is Mechanics.  Also a subsequent poster noted that AG season 3 covers mechanics.  We wouldn't have gotten to that for two years in that case.  

A couple more comments:  I find that in general, the WTM materials transition better/correlate better with Latin for Children for us.  The definitions are more similar, the grammar sequence is more similar (but not perfect) and the kids can look at one and see reflections of the other.  

Edited by cintinative

We're sticking with JAG/AG. I think it's really going to boil down to how parent driven vs independent you want/need to be. WTM puts out high quality materials, but that completely parent dependent format does not work for us. We never made it to FLL 4 because of it. We like our grammar more like math, where after a bit of teaching/examples together they can work through the exercises on their own.

Fwiw, JAG and AG actually do cover mechanics. JAG in the second volume and AG in season three.

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

We're sticking with JAG/AG. I think it's really going to boil down to how parent driven vs independent you want/need to be. WTM puts out high quality materials, but that completely parent dependent format does not work for us. We never made it to FLL 4 because of it. We like our grammar more like math, where after a bit of teaching/examples together they can work through the exercises on their own.

Fwiw, JAG and AG actually do cover mechanics. JAG in the second volume and AG in season three.

Thanks for clarifying. I updated my post. I knew there was a JAG Mechanics book but was not sure when, if at all, AG addressed mechanics.  We were all set to start Season I of AG this year and I didn't see it in the material.

It's funny because I really wanted my kids to be more independent with grammar and that is one reason we chose Fix-It and JAG last year.  Unfortunately, it backfired on me because my kids did not retain/did not learn and needed my help with all the JAG exercises.  I am really happy to return to the scripted, parent heavy format of Grammar for the WTM because I know it works for my kids.  =)  It just goes to show you that there is no one perfect curriculum. We choose what is right for our kids and their needs.  =)  

We like our grammar more like math, where after a bit of teaching/examples together they can work through the exercises on their own.

Just to clarify for those reading this comment.  This is the basis of Grammar for WTM, the parent does the teaching/examples, and the kids work through the exercises in the workbook on their own.  It's not quite as parent heavy as FLL, but certainly not independent.

Edited by melmichigan

OP here.  Thanks for your thoughts on this!  I have looked at the sample.  I think I'll take a look at both again with my boys.  I really was hoping for less teacher intensive for grammar :-), but FLL 1-4 worked well with my boys.  I'm not sure they want another 1 or more years with a continuation though...