Menu

Did you after school reading instruction?

Hi all.

I homeschooled my older kids (except for one year) but my littles will go to public school.

Wondering, if for kids who needed it (not kids who taught themselves to read at 3), you did reading instruction at home?

My older kids both struggled with learning to read & their stints in public school didn't teach either of them, so I'm assuming I'll need to be prepared to teach reading at home.

My dd4 is just starting AAR pre this year & I have a line on a very cheap AAR1 that I'm pretty sure I'll buy to have on hand "just in case".

I know they'll be tired after a long day at school & me at work, but I don't want to just muddle through with trying to teach reading from a mix of Bob books & easy readers either, btdt.

We practice reading, handwriting, and math at home even though the kids go to public school and are doing well.   I never make them work more than 10 minutes a day/subject.  I even set a timer to make sure they don't get more than that.    Focus on doing extra time or bigger projects on days that the kids aren't in school.   Those are the days that you can push just a little bit further.   Start tomorrow too, don't wait until school starts.   Getting into the habit before the routine of school starts. 

• Like 1

I worked with my kids on reading every day until they were quite fluent.  And only in 5th grade did I stop pushing independent reading.  :)

One of them could still benefit from more work at home, but there isn't enough time, and anyway I'm not disposed to force it on a middle school child who is already very busy.

• Like 1

I did for one. He had cracked the code and his kindy teacher was lying to him, so his frustration grew to the point that he saw the classroom as useless for academics. What you need to do will depend on how the school does instruction. Ours didn't teach phonics or dictionary unless the child was remedial, so I gap filled. We came to find out that several parents were preteaching reading, handwriting and math facts at home. Us, we can't see making a kid who has a question wait a few years to get that answer, so we handed him a phonics workbook and showed him how the dictionary worked.

We did afterschool reading in preschool. DD did start sounding out CVC words on her own, but then asked for me to teach her. I'm not sure that she would have picked up on phonics naturally on her own. We did Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading daily through preschool. If I hadn't she would have been bored and frustrated. 

She is starting a Spanish immersion school and I plan to after school English LA once she is settled in there. I plan to do phonics with her brother in preschool as well since he is starting to piece in together and crack the code. I would rather do phonics early than have them learn by sight on their own or in school.

But, if she hadn't learned to read in preschool, I definitely would after school in reading. I think that reading instruction 1:1 is incredibly effective. And as a parent I see it as my job to help my child if they are struggling in an area. 

I plan to aftershool reading for my 2nd grader and kindergartener. I have been working with both of them over the summer.

My second grader homeschooled most of last year for 1st. The school assigns homework so we have to prioritize that, but we didn't finish the curriculum we were using last year, so I might try using that on days when homework is light or over the weekend. She has to do a reading log every night so it's the perfect opportunity to read books from the curriculum we didn't finish and I can incorporate some of the lesson material, like words study and comprehension questions. I will be quizzing her on sight words a couple nights a week. She will also have 20 new words each week as part of her word study so I will be having her practice those each day by doing say, spell, say and writing them (in various ways, like on a white board, flash cards, typing, etc). The school issues it's own math homework so we will do that using the teachers manual (luckily which is free online) and youtube videos to help with the 'strageties' they teach. I will have her do the splash math app for quick easy review if no homework for math is sent home. 

For my kindergartener, The school sends home a homework packet each week so we will do that and go over the sight words that have been taught with flash cards. I am also going to continue to work through the Memoria Press kindergarten reading program, which is just a workbook that teaches new letters and words and then has them reading passages from the work book and easy readers. If its too much we will just read through the early readers we have in order, discussing the new sounds and sight words each time. My goal is to spend 15-20 minute or reading instruction and read aloud each night. 

I will also be trying to use the Enrichment guides from Memoria Press since we didn't finish those either. This includes a read aloud, science and social studies topics, poetry, art and music appreciation. 

I have a 3rd grader as well who will only be required to do the homework sent from school and 30 minutes of indepenent reading each night. 

Edited because original was far to wordy :)

Edited by Sunshine89

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

I homeschooled my older kids (except for one year) but my littles will go to public school.

Wondering, if for kids who needed it (not kids who taught themselves to read at 3), you did reading instruction at home?

My older kids both struggled with learning to read & their stints in public school didn't teach either of them, so I'm assuming I'll need to be prepared to teach reading at home.

My dd4 is just starting AAR pre this year & I have a line on a very cheap AAR1 that I'm pretty sure I'll buy to have on hand "just in case".

I know they'll be tired after a long day at school & me at work, but I don't want to just muddle through with trying to teach reading from a mix of Bob books & easy readers either, btdt.

I'm not sure about reading "Instruction" but I absolutely do not think they have time in public school to get enough reading practice in.  I have been reading with DD all summer and I know she has gained proficiency since last year ended.  She finished the school year starting to reading the Dr. Seuss books. Now she's able to read Ivy & Bean chapter books. and reads those same Dr. Seuss books for fun, just because.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can actually save yourself time by after schooling with phonics and keeping ahead of the sight words by teaching them with phonics.  It takes a lot longer for my older remedial students to progress than their younger siblings, the younger siblings usually move faster and often get ahead of their older siblings because they do not have guessing habits to undo.  You can do 10 to 15 minutes a day, at least 5 of it the phonics concentration game, fun and it helps undo the guessing habits from sight words.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

I wouldn't do readers, just word lists and the game, that is much more efficient.  Blend Phonics is good for that.  You can also use the Know Sight words movies, although I've only finished the first 4, the animated movies take a lot longer to make than my normal videos.

• Like 1