Menu

Transcript question re: Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings (LLfLOTR)

I'm planning to use Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings for 9th grade English Lit and Comp (with Kilgallon and other grammar/composition resources thrown in). How do other people title this class on the transcript? We will be doing the Unit Studies and reading some of the lit selections like the Iliad, Odyssey, Beowulf, Green Knight, and Macbeth (not sure we will read all of those - still working this out).  I want to be consistent with the way I title our English classes for all four years. I plan to do an American Lit and Comp year and a British Lit and comp year, so I need to figure out what to call this class so that it fits into the rest of his transcript. It seems like "Ancient lit and comp" doesn't work as a course title because some of the lit is medieval. World Lit doesn't totally work because there aren't enough selections from all over the world and from different time periods. I'd rather not just go with English I, English II, English III, English IV. That seems too generic. Would this be something like English I: Ancient/Medival Lit and Comp? That seems long. This is my first high school student so I'm still figuring this stuff out. What did other people do?

I'm planning to use Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings for 9th grade English Lit and Comp (with Kilgallon and other grammar/composition resources thrown in). How do other people title this class on the transcript? We will be doing the Unit Studies and reading some of the lit selections like the Iliad, Odyssey, Beowulf, Green Knight, and Macbeth (not sure we will read all of those - still working this out).  I want to be consistent with the way I title our English classes for all four years. I plan to do an American Lit and Comp year and a British Lit and comp year, so I need to figure out what to call this class so that it fits into the rest of his transcript. It seems like "Ancient lit and comp" doesn't work as a course title because some of the lit is medieval. World Lit doesn't totally work because there aren't enough selections from all over the world and from different time periods. I'd rather not just go with English I, English II, English III, English IV. That seems too generic. Would this be something like English I: Ancient/Medival Lit and Comp? That seems long. This is my first high school student so I'm still figuring this stuff out. What did other people do?

I would call it English I, II, III, and IV. The course descriptions would give all the necessary details.

• Like 1

I used LLOTR with my son for 9th grade. He did 2 years of Global History so the transcript read Global History and Geography 1 and World Literature and Composition 1 for 9th, with Global 2 and World 2 for 10th. For 11th we had US History and American Lit and Comp.

But. For his senior year we are doing lit and comp with no definable theme. It's The Odyssey, Moby Dick, The Brothers Karamazov, some extra Shakespeare - 2 more plays and several sonnets, and some other poetry and short stories. Basically, it's "Stuff he chose from a list of what we didn't fit in to the first 3 years of high school with some poetry and short stories because Mom is mean. Plus writing because Mom is really mean". Not a catchy title!

So I've renamed it all English I, English II, English III, and now English IV. I might perhaps go with Literature and Composition 1-4 instead. Not ideal....but I think it will be an excellent year, which is what really matters.

Edited by Liza Q
  • Like 1

I used LLOTR with my son for 9th grade. He did 2 years of Global History so the transcript read Global History and Geography 1 and World Literature and Composition 1 for 9th, with Global 2 and World 2 for 10th. For 11th we had US History and American Lit and Comp.

But. For his senior year we are doing lit and comp with no definable theme. It's The Odyssey, Moby Dick, The Brothers Karamazov, some extra Shakespeare - 2 more plays and several sonnets, and some other poetry and short stories. Basically, it's "Stuff he chose from a list of what we didn't fit in to the first 3 years of high school with some poetry and short stories because Mom is mean. Plus writing because Mom is really mean". Not a catchy title!

So I've renamed it all English I, English II, English III, and now English IV. I might perhaps go with Literature and Composition 1-4 instead. Not ideal....but I think it will be an excellent year, which is what really matters.

I actually really like this title; it speaks to me! :001_wub:

(N.B.  I am not a college admissions professional, so my advice should be taken with a huge portion of skepticism.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2017 at 6:19 AM, Liza Q said:

...For his senior year we are doing lit and comp with no definable theme. It's The Odyssey, Moby Dick, The Brothers Karamazov, some extra Shakespeare - 2 more plays and several sonnets, and some other poetry and short stories. Basically, it's "Stuff he chose from a list of what we didn't fit in to the first 3 years of high school with some poetry and short stories because Mom is mean. Plus writing because Mom is really mean". Not a catchy title!

lol. Same sort of thing here. Informally I called it "Kitchen Sink" (because, you know, "everything but the kitchen sink" went into that credit).

Formally, our English credits were English 9, 10, 11, 12 (for the grade in which each occurred).

On 7/24/2017 at 10:21 PM, happy7 said:

... I want to be consistent with the way I title our English classes for all four years. I plan to do an American Lit and Comp year and a British Lit and comp year, so I need to figure out what to call this class so that it fits into the rest of his transcript...  I'd rather not just go with English I, English II, English III, English IV. That seems too generic.

How about:

English I: Introductory Lit & Comp
English II: Intermediate Lit & Comp
English III: American Lit & Comp
English IV: British Lit & Comp

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 6