Menu

What is Latin 5 or 6? Transcript question

When DD enters 9th grade she will have already taken Lukeion's AP Latin and their Ovid or Cicero class. Would it be appropriate to call a class covering 2 semesters of either Ovid or Cicero a Latin 6 class? Lukeion now allows students to take Ovid or Cicero before AP Latin. I would have really liked for DD to follow the progression of Ovid, Cicero and then finally AP Latin, but DD wants to be in a live class with the same kids who started out together in Latin 1.

When DD enters 9th grade she will have already taken Lukeion's AP Latin and their Ovid or Cicero class. Would it be appropriate to call a class covering 2 semesters of either Ovid or Cicero a Latin 6 class? Lukeion now allows students to take Ovid or Cicero before AP Latin. I would have really liked for DD to follow the progression of Ovid, Cicero and then finally AP Latin, but DD wants to be in a live class with the same kids who started out together in Latin 1.

I might at that point stop trying to number them in a sequence and give them a descriptive name instead.

Latin: Ovid

Latin: Cicero

• Like 1

I used the grid transcript that's popular here, with one column for pre-9th grade. I listed the Latin courses dd took in middle school all on one line (like Latin 1,2,3) and listed the total credit (3.0) in that column.

I only gave middle school credit for math, science, and foreign language taken on a high school level. All of those subjects were continued on a higher level throughout high school.

• Like 1

Thanks! Can I get some advice on what to write on the transcript for 7th and 8th grades? Would I list all high school level courses taken in middle school in its own section?

DD will have a bunch of high school courses for the rest of middle school.

Are you planning on listing Clover Creek?

Are you planning on listing Clover Creek?

No, the plan is to take 4 years of science in HS so I won't list it even though it's a high school level course. DD took it in 5th grade so that would look odd. Latin would be different due to the continuous language progression. We started high school Spanish before middle school, but I would only list Spanish 4 and AP Spanish (or the level below that) for middle school.

ETA: if DD had taken in 7th grade, I would list it. So in retrospect, DD should have taken it in 7th grade, but I wasn't thinking of transcripts and college back then; it happened to be the perfect time for her to learn physics.

Edited by crazyforlatin
  • Like 1

I used the grid transcript that's popular here, with one column for pre-9th grade. I listed the Latin courses dd took in middle school all on one line (like Latin 1,2,3) and listed the total credit (3.0) in that column.

I only gave middle school credit for math, science, and foreign language taken on a high school level. All of those subjects were continued on a higher level throughout high school.

Thanks, Kathy, that's very helpful. I'm asking these things now in order to feel like I can get a handle on transcripts in order to continue homeschooling in high school. Transcripts seem like easy paperwork, but oddly enough, it's one of those things that I keep mentioning to people in IRL when we talk about brick and mortar high school and how everything is laid out for the student. I mean, it's just a grid with lots of lines, right?

• Like 1