Menu

ADHD and maturity

So, random question...

When dd was diagnosed with ADHD, the neuropsych said that maturity wise, she is on the level of a 3 year old. I never noticed it at first, but I definitely notice it now. 

Is the maturity thing something she's going to be behind on until she's an adult? Does it just depend on the kid? Does it change with meds? 

Just trying to figure out what we're looking at for future friendships/interactions. 

So, random question...

When dd was diagnosed with ADHD, the neuropsych said that maturity wise, she is on the level of a 3 year old. I never noticed it at first, but I definitely notice it now.

Is the maturity thing something she's going to be behind on until she's an adult? Does it just depend on the kid? Does it change with meds?

Just trying to figure out what we're looking at for future friendships/interactions.

It's fairly common to be immature, even further into adulthood.

• Like 2

I think I heard once a thirty percent rule - like a 10 year old is as mature as a 7 year olds and a 15 year old as a 10.5 year old. I think that is close. Maybe not 30% for my almost 15 year old. Fulll maturity of the brain doesn't come until mid 30s where it is around 25 for most people. I noticed this for certain inDH. At 38 it was like he grew up, a lot, and could do things like make lists and follow them, and pick up his socks, and plan ahead for things.

I think I heard once a thirty percent rule - like a 10 year old is as mature as a 7 year olds and a 15 year old as a 10.5 year old. I think that is close. Maybe not 30% for my almost 15 year old. Fulll maturity of the brain doesn't come until mid 30s where it is around 25 for most people. I noticed this for certain inDH. At 38 it was like he grew up, a lot, and could do things like make lists and follow them, and pick up his socks, and plan ahead for things.

Oh my, yes! For some, 40 is not too late to see significant gains. I try not to think about it some days since I am outnumbered in my own home, lol! 

I think it also depends on what particular EF deficits are part of an individual's makeup and how effective (and present) intervention is. Not everyone wears the diagnosis the same. For example, I know people who have super strong work ethics that really pull up their EF issues, but I know other hard working people for whom success is very elusive. I suspect it's a matter of finding a strategy that works for the individual and then actually using it.

Is now a good time to depress everyone with the news that EF functions are also one of the first things to go when you get old? 

Oh my, yes! For some, 40 is not too late to see significant gains. I try not to think about it some days since I am outnumbered in my own home, lol! 

I think it also depends on what particular EF deficits are part of an individual's makeup and how effective (and present) intervention is. Not everyone wears the diagnosis the same. For example, I know people who have super strong work ethics that really pull up their EF issues, but I know other hard working people for whom success is very elusive. I suspect it's a matter of finding a strategy that works for the individual and then actually using it.

Is now a good time to depress everyone with the news that EF functions are also one of the first things to go when you get old? 

That explains it.  :lol:   I turn 41, and boom my house gets messy.  :laugh:

Ummm, then I've never had executive functions! lol 

My house is horrible right now. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1