Menu

counselor recommendation

retiredHSmom

As I wrote in this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/524016-would-anyone-be-willing-to-share-their-counselor-letter-with-me/?hl=%2Bcounselor+%2Bletter&do=findComment&comment=5837967

Mine is very personal, so I do not feel comfortable sharing, but I can tell you how I set it up:

• General intro as I would write in a recommendation for any student who is not my child
  • List the 3 most important and relevant personality traits that characterize student (for DD:  that she strives to excel, loves to interact with people, and has widespread interests.)
  • elaborated on each of them, using specific examples from family life, academics, and extracurriculars to illustrate how these traits manifested,  how they affected our educational and extracurricular choices, and how they will benefit her as a college student
  • summary of why I think she is college ready (we graduated her a year early).

I started out with a list of things I wanted to work in that are not explained elsewhere in the application: her involvement with equestrian activities; her volunteer work; address how homeschooling allowed interaction with many different groups of people ("what about socialization?"), and the wide range of her interests.

I knew that I wanted to describe personality development and at least one slight negative that she overcame (horses as cure for perfectionism), and I also wanted to address why we chose college courses over AP tests (people person who thrives in classroom).

So the paragraphs for the personality traits had to be tailored so that this info could be presented.

The entire letter fits on one page.

My goal was to paint a picture that shows the student as a person.

• Like 2