What's with the ads?

#1 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7191 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

Now has a TBD teacher?! Argh! Not happy about this. I emailed them this morning to get more info.

Eric Reini is now teaching a new section of Algebra 1 during that time slot, M/W 11-12:30 Eastern.

#2 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

I thought I saw something from WHA about needing to make changes based on how enrollments were panning out across their schedule.

#3 calbear

calbear

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

ok...found the announcement.

http://www.wilsonhil...es-new-teacher/

• ScoutTN likes this

#4 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7191 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

ok...found the announcement.

http://www.wilsonhil...es-new-teacher/

Thanks! I wonder why I didn't receive any notification? Maybe because they don't have a teacher for Dd's class yet? Seems like something that WHA should have sent to all registered families.

Sounds great to open a new section of a popular class, except it's not when my kid's class no longer gets that excellent teacher.
  • melmichigan and TarynB like this

#5 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6608 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

It is strange they didn't send you something. Perhaps they are waiting to announce the new teacher.

(We had a communication issue with a different online provider who changed the listed time for a class after we registered and didn't notify us. I just found it this weekend and am not happy. The new time is during another online class that only has one section. The lack of communication is the part that has me upset. If they would have said something earlier, we might have been able to switch to another provider but most of the classes are full, I have already bought textbooks for this provider, and all the early registration deadlines have passed.) Sorry for the hijack and rant.
  • melmichigan, ScoutTN and TarynB like this

#6 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7191 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Update:

Now WHA has a teacher for the class, but he cannot do the original day/time, so they are trying to reschedule.  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

A full refund doesn't get my Dd a live PreAlgebra teacher, though it will pay for Derek Owens' course.  

I love the look of WHA and hoped to have my kids take several classes with them, but my confidence and enthusiasm are waning. This was to be Dd's first experience with live online, for-a-grade classes. Not an auspicious start. 

Sorry for the vent! Just so frustrated. 

• TarynB likes this

#7 Omma

Omma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1116 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

Wow, this is a whole month later.  So sorry for what you are going through, ScoutTN!!

• ScoutTN likes this

#8 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5450 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

Update:

Now WHA has a teacher for the class, but he cannot do the original day/time, so they are trying to reschedule.  :cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

A full refund doesn't get my Dd a live PreAlgebra teacher, though it will pay for Derek Owens' course.  

I love the look of WHA and hoped to have my kids take several classes with them, but my confidence and enthusiasm are waning. This was to be Dd's first experience with live online, for-a-grade classes. Not an auspicious start. 

I never noticed the change to TBD, but when we signed up it was for the specific teacher.  We didn't receive any notification until the email today. I did contact them, and in the end we chose to take a really sucky time slot in order to keep the teacher we wanted. It is our first class with them as well.  

I totally understand the frustration, classes with other providers are already full at this late date.

Edited by melmichigan, 16 August 2017 - 11:31 PM.

• ScoutTN likes this

#9 RootAnn

RootAnn

* Certified Crazy Lady *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6608 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:23 AM

I can't "like" these updates, but want to say how horrible this is!! Not something WHA is known for, so I hope it is just a one-off. Still, such terrible service!
  • ScoutTN likes this

#10 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7191 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

I can't "like" these updates, but want to say how horrible this is!! Not something WHA is known for, so I hope it is just a one-off. Still, such terrible service!

Thanks!
Feels like bait and switch.

I'm starting Dd on MM 7, but would strongly prefer an actual teacher.

#11 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7191 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

I never noticed the change to TBD, but when we signed up it was for the specific teacher. We didn't receive any notification until the email today. I did contact them, and in the end we chose to take a really sucky time slot in order to keep the teacher we wanted. It is our first class with them as well.

I totally understand the frustration, classes with other providers are already full at this late date.

Glad you still got Eric Reini, even at a bad time.
We can't do any T/Th times.
Yes, other providers are full or aren't a good match in terms of curriculum.
If WHA defaults, we will go with Derek Owens.

#12 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5450 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:54 PM

If WHA defaults, we will go with Derek Owens.

According to the latest email you should still be able to have a class at your listed time, whatever that was, just no information on the instructors.

• ScoutTN likes this

#13 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7191 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

According to the latest email you should still be able to have a class at your listed time, whatever that was, just no information on the instructors.

Yes. Seems like lots of unnecessary drama, if they are actually able to do both classes as scheduled. 

Maybe you and I should confer mid-semester to see how it goes? I'll let you know if the new instructor is good and you can tell me if Eric Reini is worth the early class time.  ;)

• RootAnn and melmichigan like this

#14 melmichigan

melmichigan

sitting on "The Fence"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5450 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yes. Seems like lots of unnecessary drama, if they are actually able to do both classes as scheduled. 

Maybe you and I should confer mid-semester to see how it goes? I'll let you know if the new instructor is good and you can tell me if Eric Reini is worth the early class time.  ;)

I know I'll be ticked if Reini does one of the pre algebra courses at a later time, even on a different day.  We are not morning people.

• RootAnn and ScoutTN like this