Menu

BJU DVD High School Credits

HI there, 

How do high school credits get applied to a student doing BJU DVD through Grades 9 - 12. Not in all subjects. We are looking at using DVDs for Science & History.  

Many thanks

Sherid

Each completed course would be worth one year of credit; for example, in California you would give your child 10 credits for completing a full history course, in Indiana it would be 2 credits. You just write those on the transcript you are keeping for your dc.

Is that what you were asking?

• Like 1

No, none of that makes any sense to me. 

We are not American but are looking at sending our daughter to a Christian college in the USA. 

I was wondering whether the BJU DVD courses have High School Credits to put on our transcript - like how some course if they are full year normally say 1 High school credit of 0.5 high school credit. For example if I am looking at the TPS Online high school courses they have anywhere from 0-3 high school credits per course. 

So I am just wanting to find out what the credits would be for the high school BJU DVD history and science courses.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense.

Regards

Sherid

Ah, I see.  Well, it can be confusing b/c different states count credits differently.  However, the standard for one year of a subject is 1 credit.  As I said above, that is equal to between 120-180 hours of work.  You can also count a credit for finishing a standard textbook (or even 80% of one).  This works best if you are using textbooks.  0.5 would be one semester--half a year.  A class that is 3 credits would normally combine a year of 3 subjects.  So, in your case, BJU science would be one credit.  History would be one credit also.

• Like 1

Ah, I see.  Well, it can be confusing b/c different states count credits differently.  However, the standard for one year of a subject is 1 credit. <snip>  So, in your case, BJU science would be one credit.  History would be one credit also.

This exactly. Whatever your child studies in high school is worth high school credits. As people have pointed out there are different ways to establish a credit. You can earn a credit by completing a standard scope of learning - such as a year of Algebra or Chemistry. You can earn a credit for studying a subject for a certain amount of time, an average credit earned this way would represent about 150 hours of work, although students often spend more time than that one more challenging subjects. 

The advantage to using a pre-prepared curriculum like BJU is that they set out the amount of work and their courses are all worth either 1 credit for a full year or .5 credit for some half year electives. History and Science would be worth 1 credit each.

There are states such as CA and IN that give unusual numbers of credits for a year's work (10 and 2 respectively), but the vast majority of American high schools use the 1 credit=1 year's learning in one subject system.