Menu

Does anyone still make a flipable mattress?

Prairie~Phlox

I'm fairly sure the company that made ours does.  They are a local company; mattresses are still manufactured in Salem, MA.  We bought ours over TWENTY years ago, and it is still as firm and supportive as the day we bought it.  No dips, no holes, no sagging.  It's so firm, in fact, that our aging bodies have started to need more give, and we just got a cheap foam topper for it, which makes it perfect again.  They did warn us not to buy a firmer mattress than we'd need, because it would not soften up over time.  We got one that is flippable, with no built-in topper, and we did pick one of their firmer (though not the firmest) selections.

I think they've added more 'modern' styles, but I would think you could still find the traditional kind - it's what they've specialized in.  It's been family owned and run for I think (well?) over a century.

Gardner Mattress 

You mean some mattresses don't have padding on both sides? I've never seen one like this. These are just regular mattresses, right? Or do you mean the kind with the extra padding that make the mattress extra tall/deep?

I have not either. 

The newest mattress we have is our 11 year olds.  It is a coil and has padding on both sides. 

You mean some mattresses don't have padding on both sides? I've never seen one like this. These are just regular mattresses, right? Or do you mean the kind with the extra padding that make the mattress extra tall/deep?

Seems like a lot of mattresses these days have big poofy 'pillow-tops' on the top... those I think are only on one side, so couldn't be flipped.

I've never want extra padding sewn on.  Seems much more practical to buy a topper and be able to replace it if/when it gets flattened, rather than ditching the whole mattress...

• Like 3

Seems like a lot of mattresses these days have big poofy 'pillow-tops' on the top... those I think are only on one side, so couldn't be flipped.

I've never want extra padding sewn on.  Seems much more practical to buy a topper and be able to replace it if/when it gets flattened, rather than ditching the whole mattress...

Ah ok.  Yeah I don't like that pillow top stuff either.  We do not have that.

I like very firm mattresses.  I don't want to sleep on a fluffy pillowy thing.

Edited by SparklyUnicorn
  • Like 1

Ah ok.  Yeah I don't like that pillow top stuff either.  We do not have that.

I like very firm mattresses.  I don't want to sleep on a fluffy pillowy thing.

Yes, I also like very firm.  The only time we've had a topper on our bed is when I was pregnant and now that we're getting old and stiff, lol...  but I still want it to be firm underneath!

The padding is only on one side. They are advertised as "No Flip" mattresses. Can be regular or pillow top.
  • Like 1