Menu

Are these independent?

Melinda S in TX

Due to major health issues in my 19yo, I am trying to streamline school and get the children to be more independent.  How easily do you think Rod and Staff Grammar and Math Mammoth would be to use independently?  I would like to have the student teach themselves from the text and asking me for help when needed.  This is for third, sixth, and eighth grade.

You might look at Fix-it Grammar and CTC math...

http://iew.com/fix (:15 min a day, 4 days a week)

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/ctc-math/  (One cost for the whole family, it provides video instruction and pages that can be printed out as needed and you can track everyone's progress - all the kids would have access to math from kindergarten through Calculus)

You could even do MM and have CTC as a supplement

Rod and Staff grammar could be used more independently, but it would involve a lot of writing on the students' part. You would also miss out on one of the strengths of the program, which is the use of review questions at the start of each lesson from the teacher's guide. Doing the oral problems with the student also helps show if they understood the lesson or not before they start on the class problems (saving frustrating re-dos later). I also think it would be difficult for an 8th grader to jump in to the program at that level—it was the peak of grammar for us, building on previous Rod and Staff books, adding in some very fine points of grammar.

Erica in OR

Due to major health issues in my 19yo, I am trying to streamline school and get the children to be more independent.  How easily do you think Rod and Staff Grammar and Math Mammoth would be to use independently?  I would like to have the student teach themselves from the text and asking me for help when needed.  This is for third, sixth, and eighth grade.

Most of Rod and Staff's texts are intended to be done independently; except for the oral review at the beginning, which takes, oh, five minutes, everything the children need to know is right there in their textbooks. The excellent teacher manual has scripted oral class time, but it is optional. I think doing a few minutes of oral review at the beginning would add some necessary face time, because otherwise, that English text can be rilly, rilly dry. :-)

Have you done extensive English up to now? Because the eighth grade text is quite difficult.

And sorry to hear about your oldest. :grouphug: