Menu

professional references?

Sunshine State Sue

Ds has an interview for an internship next week.  They've asked him to bring 2 professional references.  The use of the word "professional" has him confused.  Without it, he would no doubt provide his basketball coaches as references.  They know him best, working with him for 3 years now.  Is this appropriate?  He could also ask professors.  I don't think he's had any professor for more than one semester.  I don't know if he has made himself memorable to any of them.  During summers, he's worked basketball camps and (2 summers ago) at a local factory. 

Dh says his profession is student-athlete and therefore coaches are appropriate.

Thoughts?

Professional references means able to speak to how he is on the job. Did the coach run the basketball camp?

Otherwise, it's a character reference, not a professional one.

I would have DS talk to the recruiter in detail about the requirements. Lots of college kids don't have much work experience yet and use coaches and professors as references, but that is not what was requested.

• Like 1

Is the internship related to his major?  For example, if he is a finance major seeking an internship with an investment banking firm, they will probably want a reference from a finance (or accounting or something similar) professor.  If the internship is more general and they are wanting to see that he will show up for work, have a good work ethic, be teachable, etc. then the coaches would be fine. 

Professional references means able to speak to how he is on the job. Did the coach run the basketball camp?

Otherwise, it's a character reference, not a professional one.

This. My husband just did a whole day of internship interviews at a university student service center. Any employer/supervisor he has worked under/report to during basketball camps.

Yes.  His major is mechanical engineering.

Then professional references would relate to that. One from a coach whom he worked with at basketball camp would be okay, as a reference to his work ethic, professionalism, etc. (not focused on his athletic ability.).

Maybe the other could be from the factory job. If that's not possible, a letter from a professor in his field would be the next best thing, though technically a professional reference.