Menu

X Post from high school board----looking for recommendations for service projects for teens

I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations of good organizations that offer service projects for teens. Ds is 15, will be 16 in July. We are located in the Northeast, could travel a bit (by car) for a good experience for him. I would prefer something that is not religious in nature, though I don't mind if it is affiliated with one as long as that is not a strong component  of the experience. I just want to find something that is well run and supervised, will be a good experience, and is not expensive.

I am also interested in hearing about other positive summer experiences for teens. Not a traditional camp and not a regular summer job.

It might help to describe your ds' interests.  It's much easier to volunteer your time for a cause you believe in, or using skills that you enjoy using.  

For example, my dd is mathy, and she tutors math with an after school program.  It isn't an established program, we just started contacting friends and friends of friends until we found someone who would get my dd started.  

She's not the type of gal who would want to volunteer cleaning beaches or building park benches.  

My 14 year-old works one day a week at a pit bull rescue.  She's been working there for almost a year.  It was near impossible to find that volunteer job.  She contacted every dog shelter/animal rescue she could find.  Once they found out her age, most of them wouldn't call her back.  We were shocked when this rescue actually said she could come in and they would meet her/sign some paperwork, etc.  She's been working there almost a year and has never missed her shift.  She even went to work on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.  They must really like her, because the owners drove out and presented her with an award, they gave her a staff T-shirt and other employees and the director have come out to my car when I'm picking her up to tell me how wonderful she is...  *shrug*  I don't even go in with her.  I drop her off in the parking lot and drive away.  I pick her up at the end of her shift.  She's managed to figure everything out on her own all year.  Probably learned some incredible life skills this year.

When we were searching for a volunteer job, we were finding organizations where you have to pay money to volunteer.  Um...I don't think so...seriously.  That's ridiculous.   :glare:

A lot of the volunteer jobs wanted the teenager to have their parent with them at all times while they were volunteering.  Er...helicopter parenting at its finest...   :leaving:   Also ridiculous.  

We're starting to look around for a volunteer job for my son (next year).  We're looking into a horse therapy place for people with special needs that uses teens as horse walkers/spotters.  He would be good at that.  He helps teach a special needs sports class once a week.  

My kids have also volunteered with Special Olympics - but that was through a sport they already play. 

Good luck with your search!  I'm completely sold on the volunteer thing for teens.  Like I said, I think my daughter has learned some incredible life skills volunteering.  She's used to doing difficult work out in the Texas heat, learning to get along with other employees and she's learning to be responsible for her tasks without mommy hovering overhead like a Blackhawk.

Edited to add:  So no one thinks I'm forcing my kid to this - my daughter *begged* to do this volunteer job.  She plans to get her doctorate in physical therapy and she wants to specialize in animal-assisted physical therapy (I'm not an expert, but it's something where they use service animals to help people with physical therapy).  My son (who helps teach special needs classes) wants to be a doctor.  Anyway, just wanted to add that, so it doesn't look like I'm dumping my kids out at dog shelters all over Texas for free babysitting.

Edited by Evanthe
  • Like 2

I agree that you could start with your son's interests. There are so many ways he could help out. In our area, teenagers are especially welcome on jobs that require physical labor - packing a truck with pallets of food, building wheelchair ramps for homes, updating paths at a state park.

• Like 1

We haven't done in volunteering yet so I'm listening along.

My daughter (nearly 9) does sewing classes and last week she stayed late, while she was there the ladies let her help with various things. It started me to think that the type of places to keep in mind for volunteering and interning later would be those places that are locally owned. I think of the art teacher that we use sometimes that does various programs for kids in need- that would be the perfect opportunity for kids that are older. 

Anyway, those thoughts may not be at all helpful. I'm just starting to think on these things trying to keep an eye and ear out for when they are a bit older. 

• Like 1

We had a hard time finding the right volunteer position for my son. Had to "kiss a lot of frogs first."

Where we live, it is flat out hard to find something that welcomes teens under 18.

Both he and I volunteer at a refugee center. His tasks are usually helping to teach foreign language lessons or helping in the kitchen. It is completely secular. Ours is a shared activity, but I don't feel helicopter-y about it. It has been a fantastic experience for our whole family.

I am not sure how religious Habitat for Humanity is. I have the idea that it is only nominally religious, but I can't back that up with anything.

Red Cross Youth comes to mind.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

My dd volunteers in the spring and summer at a local wildlife sanctuary, where she feeds and cares for squirrels and other wildlife that don't get rabies. They have college interns at the centre, as well as adult volunteers. She loves it. In addition to the hands-on care of the critters, she can collect food and other supply donations (or just food supplies from our yard, such as maple seeds from our trees). 

Dd and oldest ds also volunteered as Leadership Team members (assistants to instructors, working towards being instructors) at our martial arts academy. Excellent experience and helped improve their own technique and knowledge as well.

Dd and ds have also volunteered for the last couple years with a local charity running race. They always need teens to help with food, water stations, etc.

I'd definitely suggest starting with the teen's interests and experience, and go from there. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2