Menu

AP Online class provider list and your favorites...

Can we compile a list of all accredited AP online providers.  Searched the archives and couldn't find any....I'll start from what I know.  Feel free to list favorites or star them in your list.  :)

• PA Homeschoolers
  • Veritas Press
  • Wilson Hill Academy
  • Potters School
  • North Star Academy
  • Keystone
  • philfour.com
  • Derekowens.com (Calculus)
Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Like 1

By accredited, I am presuming you mean that the AP course is approved by the College Board to carry the AP designation, not necessarily that the provider is an accredited school.

Kolbe Academy

Clonlara

University of Indiana High School

University of Missouri High School

JHU CTY

Scholars Online

I have not used any of them yet. I am still in research mode :)

• Like 1

By accredited, I am presuming you mean that the AP course is approved by the College Board to carry the AP designation, not necessarily that the provider is an accredited school.

Kolbe Academy

Clonlara

University of Indiana High School

University of Missouri High School

JHU CTY

Scholars Online

I have not used any of them yet. I am still in research mode :)

Yes, thanks for clarifying for me!  :)  I didn't realize Scholars Online had any AP.  Thanks for listing the others, had not heard of some of them.

• Like 1

I would recommend that you edit "accredited" in your OP to say "College Board approved" as accredited refers to an outside organization certifying the education provided by a school.  To my knowledge, it's not possible for a provider to be accredited if they only offer certain courses.

As far as AP providers, we've used:

Edhesive AP Computer Science A and the forthcoming AP Computer Principles (beginning fall 2016).  Edhesive used to be called Amplify.

Lukeion AP Latin  (I can't say enough good stuff about Lukeion.)

Oklahoma State University German Online  (One of the few online providers of German.)

I have also designed several of my own AP syllabuses, which I submitted to College Board and had approved.

• Like 5

I can't find a price for Edhesive's Computer Science course. Care to share the price and any other information about it?

Students can register for free.  They get access to the syllabus, the video lessons, assignments (ds did these on Dr. Java and then copied them into the interface for the course), and quizzes.  Edhesive does not issue a grade, but leaves that up to the local class authority.to determine (I went with quiz scores and working activity programs as the basis of my grade).

Coaches who would like to have access to the Coach's Manual, that contains sample programs as answers to the assignments as well as quiz solutions and extra quizzes and unit tests, pay per student.  It was $150/student last time I checked.  (This is quite low for an AP course, IMHO.)

If you have questions, there is a request info form on the site.  My experience with their staff has been excellent.  They were willing to call me at home and have detailed conversations to answer my questions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is a great list - thank you! 

I have a follow-up question. For those that have used Keystone AP, how was your experience? DD is considering this for next year and will probably be living away from home (ie, I'm not really able to provide support). We are also looking at U of Indiana, so any comparison of pros and cons is welcome.

Thanks!

This is a great list - thank you! 

I have a follow-up question. For those that have used Keystone AP, how was your experience? DD is considering this for next year and will probably be living away from home (ie, I'm not really able to provide support). We are also looking at U of Indiana, so any comparison of pros and cons is welcome.

Thanks!

I know someone who has used Keystone and liked them. I would hesitate to use them since K12 owns them I believe and K12 has had some bad press in the past:( The one associated with a university would likely have a better reputation but I could be wrong.

International Connections Academy seems interesting and is owned by Pearson which is used by many schools and therefore may possibly not have the same negative connotations that K12 or K12 company has.

Mine signed up for the AP European History with Keystone because I was hoping for someone to look over the essays. But it was not satisfactory; the layout was very confusing and the teacher was substituted after a few weeks. Eventually, mine dropped it, self-studied (I had to scramble for resources) and took the AP Exam. 

• 2 months later...

Keystone was a bad experience. I should have paid attention to the reviews. My daughter signed up for 6 courses over 2 years but the schoolwork was too easy and uninteresting. It's a money-making machine with no support for students or parents.

I requested assistance from the Keystone "Learning Coach" but she knew less about the program and motivational skills than I did. She showed no concern and had no advice on how to handle the online experience.

I was able to cancel 2 courses and receive a partial refund. But the second time around, NO REFUND because my daughter had not submitted any assignments within 30 days. Keystone will warn you if the student is going too slowly through the course, but will not warn you that there is NO REFUND if there is NO ACTIVITY.

We had a decent experience with George Washington University Online High School, part of the K-12 company. The advisor and administrators were attentive and acted like they cared.

• 2 months later...