Menu

Does anyone know...

Journey

Anything about elder care type stuff? We live with and take care of my elderly parents in their home. Everything is in my dad's name (my mom's name came off the house 4 years ago). Dad is in the hospital and might not come home/live. (Prayers are welcome especially for his salvation) my question is if my dad doesn't make it, can we put my mom in a nursing home and not lose the house? There is no way I can care for her without my dad's help. Does anyone know about this? I know I have to talk to a lawyer and i will but I can't until Monday and I was thinking about it now.

Do you know what your father has indicated in his will? Who will inherit the house? Do you have power of attorney for your parents, so that you are legally able to make decisions for them? Figuring out the answers to some of these questions would be the place to start, I think.

My mother is in a nursing home. In order to get her care covered under Medicaid, dad had to submit to the government extensive financial information, going back five years. He rents and does not own his home, so that was not a factor for him. I do know that the individual is required to use up all of his/her own assets before the government will pay. Which is fair, really, though it often does not seem so to the family. They look back five years to make sure that no assets are being hidden (for example, have been transferred to family members to disguise ownership).

I would guess that if your mother will own the house after his death, it may need to be sold to cover her care, but you will need to consult with experts to figure this out. I think what actually happens is that Medicaid will determine the amount that your mother will need to pay, and it would be your choice how to come up with the money. They would not tell you to sell the house, but some people do need to sell in order to come up with the funds.

I'm not sure how helpful my response is. These things really vary according to each family's situation. Right now I'd focus on getting your parents the care they need and gathering as many legal and financial documents together that you can. I know it's hard. I'm sorry.