Menu

Which standardized Test for bright 8th grader?

FriedClams

I guess I don't know how to ask this... For background, we've always homeschooled...

I have bright 8th grader. She's talking algebra 2 this year, and while I'll slow down if we need to, so far she's rocking the class. When we did the Stanford at the end of 6th she killed it. We did not test last year due to a family emergency.

I'm just wondering- is there anything we should test for this year? On the horizon? We plan to HS through high school, but any gifted programs or scholarship options would be great. I don't want to be pushy, but don't want to miss cool programs that might be a good fit for her.

Thank you for any help!

Thank you. I know this will highlight my ignorance, but why and what are the talent searches? Back in the day we went to high school, and then if you did well on the SAT as a junior you could get into a good college. It didn't start in 8th grade...

I feel like a cotton headed ninny muggins. Is there a book on all this? ! :-)

We did the SAT and ACT in 7th grade, ACT in 8th. We chose to continue with the ACT because we are required to test yearly and the ACT meets our state requirements for this while the SAT does not. We did both in 7th because after I had her take the ACT through Duke TIP, we found out about the SET program which gave extra benefits for students scoring 700 on a subsection of the SAT prior to age 13 (I think it goes up 10 points per year after that).

Try www.hoagiesgifted.org.

My daughter did Algebra 2 as an 8th grader last year and she took the SAT in May. The scores will be erased from the public records because she is not in high school, but we did it as a benchmark  as I like to see whether the kids do better in SAT or ACT and then work just on that one. 

I did not do it for the talent searches as I asked friends who had gone that route if they felt it was worth it and they didn't. Essentially it gives you access to various programs at great universities - but they are pricey and we couldn't afford them. My kids have just done Udacity and Coursera courses instead which are free.

My daughter did Algebra 2 as an 8th grader last year and she took the SAT in May. The scores will be erased from the public records because she is not in high school, but we did it as a benchmark  as I like to see whether the kids do better in SAT or ACT and then work just on that one. 

Just for those who may be interested:

You can petition the College Board to keep the scores for tests taken before 9th grade. It is very simple, just send them a letter, but I believe they must receive the letter by the end of June. We requested that DD's 7th grade score be kept, so we could obtain an official record of the score if we needed it. Even if they keep the score, it still does not need to be disclosed on regular college applications.

My daughter did Algebra 2 as an 8th grader last year and she took the SAT in May. The scores will be erased from the public records because she is not in high school, but we did it as a benchmark as I like to see whether the kids do better in SAT or ACT and then work just on that one.

I did not do it for the talent searches as I asked friends who had gone that route if they felt it was worth it and they didn't. Essentially it gives you access to various programs at great universities - but they are pricey and we couldn't afford them. My kids have just done Udacity and Coursera courses instead which are free.

This is just what I commented to my DH... "so we pay to have her take a test so we can pay a ton for online classes or a camp?". I may be cynical but it seems like a good scam for colleges to get parents to get their kids into "gifted" programs.

I looked at Duke last year, and my kids qualified, but I couldn't see the point. Am I missing something?

A friend did tell me her son earned a free rose to a state school with his PSAT scope from junior year. Apparently it's a one time try, but that to me seems worth it.

This is just what I commented to my DH... "so we pay to have her take a test so we can pay a ton for online classes or a camp?". I may be cynical but it seems like a good scam for colleges to get parents to get their kids into "gifted" programs.

I looked at Duke last year, and my kids qualified, but I couldn't see the point. Am I missing something?

A friend did tell me her son earned a free rose to a state school with his PSAT scope from junior year. Apparently it's a one time try, but that to me seems worth it.

PSAT is a different story - it is definitely worth it. My oldest daughter was a finalist and got some money from her college but some colleges (I think Univ of Alabama is one) do offer full rides for finalists. You get benefits - nothing to pay for except the exam.

I think if you have to test anyway, it makes sense to do the test that does the most for you. I can attest that the EXPLORE in 3rd was worth it-it opened quite a few doors. I expect the next useful test to be the ACT/SAT for college/DE options.

One trick-it doesn't matter what program you test through-you can send qualifying scores to any program if they have something you want to access. Both TIPS and NUMATS had no trouble accepting my DD's EXPLORE scores from Belin-Blank.

I bet the poster meant free RIDE. I hate what autocorrect does. I once got a text from my daughter that said "missiles." When I responded with confusion, she said the auto correct had changed "kissies!"

oh, that makes sense.

My favorite autocorrect occurred in an email from a student who was looking for a tutor, but autocorrect changed it to "torturer". (I always wondered whether that was not a Freudian slip)

• 4 weeks later...

My kids did the ACT for 7th grade last year, so I thought about having them take the SAT this year( they are required to do standardized testing for state reporting purposes). Would the PSAT be a better option?

It depends on several factors:

1) The PSAT is being the week of Oct 15 (only time) and you have to register directly with a specific high school. You may or may not be able to make arrangements at this point. The registration process is totally different than for the ACT or SAT. You have several dates for the SAT and register directly with the College Board.

2) Do the SAT and PSAT meet your state reqs? In NC, the ACT does, but the PSAT and SAT don't.

3) If they did really well on the ACT and are still under 13, check into the free SET program at Johns Hopkins. The student doesn't have to be part of the Johns Hopkins talent search, but needs to qualify with a 700 or better on one section of the SAT before age 13. After that, the cutoff goes up 10 points per month of age over 13 years.