Menu

Horizons, CLE, everybody has free placement tests.  Try a couple and see what happens.  Or get the Woodcock Johnson.  

Are you coming in cold off the summer or have you been working on math?  Their scores might change dramatically if they did no math this summer.  They'd need some time to review and get things fresh again, otherwise you'll have a heart attack.  :D

Horizons, CLE, everybody has free placement tests.  Try a couple and see what happens.  Or get the Woodcock Johnson.  

Are you coming in cold off the summer or have you been working on math?  Their scores might change dramatically if they did no math this summer.  They'd need some time to review and get things fresh again, otherwise you'll have a heart attack.   :D

yeah our summer got so mucked up I'm surprised they remember their own names!  Definitely would probably give me a heart attack if I gave them an assessment right now.   :lol:   Good point.

I just wondered how to find where we need to be for moving into this next year, especially with DD.  I will look at some of the placement tests.  Thanks!  :)

I would pick a curriculum you have used or one you want to use if you are going to do placement tests. Realize that different curriculums have different scope and sequence. When I pulled dd out of public school at the end of 4th grade, I gave her like 4 placement tests (poor thing). She placed in 6th grade once, 5th grade twice and 4th grade once. If I had just done the one that placed her in 4th, I might have freaked out. If I had just done the one that placed in her 6th I might have been over-confident. 

I want to say CLE and BJU were where she placed at grade level if you want to pick something middle of the road :).

O.k. here is where I am stumped.  I don't know which program to use from here for DD.  She is a very VS learner but she likes having a worksheet to complete.  She does not do terribly well with DVD instruction for math, although she did fine with Dynamo Math most of the time.  She wants something that goes in smallish increments with plenty of review that is fun and not just computation.  I own Math in Focus but only through 5th grade.  I also own Math on the Level (goes through 8th), Math Mammoth (through 8th), Teaching Textbooks 3rd-7th, Dolciani's Pre-Algebra, The Key to Series for Fractions, Decimals, Percents, and Algebra, Hands on Equations, plus a zillion Algebra resources and a few Geometry resources.  I'm sure I am forgetting one or two.  Most I bought used thankfully. 

I am actually going to interview a math tutor tomorrow but he wants to use whatever program I was planning on using instead of recommending one.  He has not had much experience with homeschoolers but where we live he looks like my best option.  DD and I both think we need a bit of outside input each week to get us through.  She is getting really frustrated with me right now.  She does not like Teaching Textbooks.  She has done pretty well with Key to Fractions, although she is moving slowly.  She needs more review so I am adding some in from other sources but she obviously needs to learn more than just what is in the Key to Series before starting pre-algebra, right?

Goals, if this helps, is for her to be ready for Pre-Algebra by January 2015 or at least by next summer.  She hopes to do pre-Algebra in the Spring and Summer of 2015 and maybe start Algebra in the Fall or winter of 9th grade at the end of next calendar year.  She really wants to be able to take extra time with Algebra and is willing to work through each summer.  

Now that we are done with Dynamo Math, I just don't know where to go.  

Well, CLE is incremental with lots of continuous review. There are some fun facts scattered throughout, and I think the story problems can be interesting. Actually, today's story problem was the most interesting yet (in level 300) -- a boy has a 28 cm pet millipede, and his brother accidentally closes the lid on it and chops off 9 cm, so how long is the millipede now? That is the only one we've come across like that!! But they usually have an interesting story, oftentimes focusing on people from other countries. It doesn't use manipulatives or DVD lessons, and I wouldn't qualify it as a VSL program, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't work for your daughter.

CLE does pre-algebra (mixed with consumer math, I think) over two levels -- 7 and 8, so many people switch to something else before 700 in order to complete pre-algebra in a single year. I think if you got through level 6, your daughter would be ready to switch to pre-algebra using whatever other program you might choose. So if she tests into level 6, she could complete it on your timeframe.

Not sure how much that helps. I haven't used the other programs you mention.

OneStep, I am finding that no matter what curriculum I select, I wind up tweaking and teaching to DS.  I have no idea how our math year is going to pan out, but the strategies from RB are really starting to blossom with MUS Algebra.  CLE math has a solid reputation.  I am far more concerned about your math tutor.  Be certain that he/she understands the higher math concepts and how they apply in the current situation, understands the perplexing nature of maths disability, and is comfortable with alternative math teaching using manipulatives and general RB techniques.

OneStep, I am finding that no matter what curriculum I select, I wind up tweaking and teaching to DS.  I have no idea how our math year is going to pan out, but the strategies from RB are really starting to blossom with MUS Algebra.  CLE math has a solid reputation.  I am far more concerned about your math tutor.  Be certain that he/she understands the higher math concepts and how they apply in the current situation, understands the perplexing nature of maths disability, and is comfortable with alternative math teaching using manipulatives and general RB techniques.

Yeah, I'm kind of frustrated right now.  We were supposed to relocate to a much larger city.  Among other things we had a math tutor trained in math disabilities lined up to help out twice a week.   DD was excited because she wanted to get some math instruction outside the home from someone who really gets math and has lots of experience teaching kids who struggle in math (and to have time away from her brother :) ).  The woman sounded terrific, is very supportive of homeschooling, does assessments as part of the tutoring so no extra charge, has many years of experience helping kids with real math issues/disabilities, came highly recommended by multiple people, and was going to help me work through what to do now and for High School.  

But our situation has changed.  We are unable to move until at least January so I was going to just keep going as we have been here at home.  Only DD really wants an outside tutor at least once a week.  I had to look locally and rejected tons of tutors.  DD was disappointed.  This guy is the only one that looks like he might work but I don't know.  He SAYS he is great at working with different learning styles and is good at incorporating manipulatives and breaking things down into tiny pieces.  And he was recommended by more than one source.  But while he seems supportive of homeschooling I have not had much luck at all locally finding anyone that truly understands learning issues.  I guess we will see.  

I know no matter what we do we will need to tweak and adapt.  But I am hoping to find something that doesn't reduce one or the other of us to tears.  :)  And I am hoping to find someone that DD can work with outside our home at least once a week since she wants that so badly.  I think in her heart she really wants her teacher from Groves in Minnesota two summers ago.  They clicked.  She thrived in her class.  I wanted to bring that woman home with me to Texas.  She was amazing.  I wish with all my heart DD and DS could learn math from her.  But it just isn't in the cards.   :sad: